Is my tank cycled ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone just a quick question, I have had my tank for two years and I am wondering if my tank is cycled ?? Here's a picture of my test.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393900153.179679.jpg

According to the above picture, no. Once you are cycled the readings will be 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrites, and some Nitrates (number varies but the vile will always be some shade of orange or red, not yellow).

How did you cycle? From the looks of it your ammonia appears to be around 0.25ppm and everything else 0ppm which would mean you are at the very beginning of your cycle (assuming you are doing a fish in cycle). If you are adding something from a bottle then I don't know much about that except most people say it is not a good idea. If you cycle with pure ammonia it is said to work really well and is fun to watch with your test kit because the ammonia one will turn a really pretty green.

Good luck!

3rd testImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393901170.020947.jpg2nd testImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393901180.461536.jpg1st test ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393901191.846182.jpg
The picture in my last post was my 4th test. I don't know because I have tested from the first week and I've gone thru the ammonia spike and the nitrite spike then last week I didn't post but I had red nitrates so I did a 50% water change, I don't know what happened from what it looks like the ammonia is going to spike again ??

Two years and no nitrates?

1. How many and what types of fish are you keeping?
2. What size is your tank?
3. How much water do you change and how often do you change it?
4. How old is your test kit and did you shake it we'll as per the instructions?

We need this information to help you identify if there's a problem.

Ok so here is a picture of my newb tank :D ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393901644.360206.jpg
I have 4 panda Cory cats, 1 platy, 2neons, 1 ruby danio, and 5 white clouded minnows.
It's a 10gallon tank and is only 2 months old. I bought the test kit at my fish store and it doesn't expire till 2016, I shook the chemicals with the water in the test tube I took the water at the top of the not the bottom and didn't shake the chemicals in the bottle. I use a heater and a tetra pf10 whisper filter.

Are you replacing the filter pads? Are you sure your doing the nitrate test correctly? It's very very easy to mess up?

I was told not replace them as you get rid of good bacteria so I just rinse it off in old tank water when I do water changes , it said add 10drops and 10drops I use the API test kit

Did you dose ammonia recently to the tank? If so and it has been less then 12 hrs that could be why there is a slight ammonia reading (or it could just be the lighting from the camera, does it look bright yellow in person?) then combine that with the thought that if something went wrong on the nitrate test hence why it is showing 0ppm.

Looks like you did indeed cycle quite nicely. Have you tried doing the Nitrate test again and see if you get a different result?

No I did fish in so I didn't dose with ammonia but I recently went on reading week and went home and left a feeder rock in the bottom, so food and that could have a slight spike in the ammonia. I'll re do the nitrate and show you in a few mins.

Ahh, you have to follow the API nitrate test instructions closely. You must add 10 drops from bottle 1 and shake the test tube for 60 seconds, then, shake bottle 2 vigorously for a couple of minutes, then add ten drops from bottle 2 and shake the tube for another 60 seconds. It looks like you didn't shake bottle 2 before adding the drops.

Yay yay ! I didn't know how good it would feel but 2 months later and it's complete.

Back
Top Bottom