Is my tank cycling right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adiliegro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the tank for about a week and a half now and have seen ammonia build up slowly but not nitrates. Tonight, I checked the levels and the ammonia was at 1.5 mg/l and the nitrites have started to show up as I am reading it now at about 0.3 mg/l. Is this about right for the time Ive had it? What can I expect in the next few days? I know Im supposed to get an ammonia spike, but what would that spike be? I did a 20% water change yesterday and am going to do another tonight. If I could get some gravel from an established tank, would it speed me up at this point or hurt me?

All constructive advice is appreciated.

Hi adiliegro,

Are you cycling with fish or performing a fishless cycle?

adiliegro said:
Tonight, I checked the levels and the ammonia was at 1.5 mg/l and the nitrites have started to show up as I am reading it now at about 0.3 mg/l. Is this about right for the time Ive had it?

Yes, this sounds about right. It normally takes a week to two weeks for ammonia to fall and for nitrite to show. The amount of time it takes depends on the tank size, fish load and temperature.

adiliegro said:
What can I expect in the next few days? I know Im supposed to get an ammonia spike, but what would that spike be? I did a 20% water change yesterday and am going to do another tonight.

You will slowly start to see an increase in the nitrite levels as the ammonia drops to 0. Was this the first time that you tested for ammonia? It's hard to say what the ammonia will/would spike at. Sometimes it can be so high that it doesn't show on the chart.

The same applies to nitrites as they can skyrocket during a cycle. This is also the longest phase of the initial cycling process because the bacteria is very slow growing. Keep up with regular testing and do a water change whenever there is a spike. You could find yourself performing a water change every couple of days or even daily. Nitrite is toxic above 2ppm. The addition of a 1/3 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 20 gallons will also help to counteract nitrite toxicity.

adiliegro said:
If I could get some gravel from an established tank, would it speed me up at this point or hurt me?

Adding gravel or filter media from an established tank will help to speed along the cycle.

Bryan

Im gonna get blasted for this, but I am doing the fish cycle. I have two yellow lab cichlids and a brichardia in the tank. I usually test the ammonia daily as well as the nitrites and the ammonia is starting to creep up a bit from the last few days, as well as the nitrites. It isnt toxic high, but just creeping up. The ammonia had been below 0.25 range and now it is at 1.5. The nitrites were at 0 and now they are at 0.3. Maybe this thing is starting to get its act together now. Gonna be changing water when needed and go from there.

Thanks for the advice!

Yuo're welcome!:)

A fish-in cycle is nothing to get blasted about. Sounds like you have everything well under control with the water changes and testing. It will take anywhere from four to six weeks for the cycle to run it's course.

Bryan

You've got things under control, and follow the advice Essayons89 gave you about the nitrite toxicity - I can't remember if you are using cichlid salts or not, but that will certainly help. As mentioned, the de-nitrifying portion of the cycle is the longest, and often the most frustrating, but it sounds like you are right on track.

We're not gonna blast you - plenty of people cycle with fish - as long as you know how to protect your babies from the stress of the cycle you can get through it.

I am using the Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt as well as the Malawi Victoria Buffer added to my water before pour it in at change. I am still reading the same as last night, except the nitrites color in the vial is more orange than the yellow/orange it was last night (anyone using the tetratest laborrette chems? This is what I have) This leads em to believe that the nitrites are starting to creep up so I will do a water change tomorrow. The ammonia levels are about the same as they were last night at 1.5 mg/l.

Looks good to me! :D I don't use the Tetratest brand but you are probably right that nitrites are creeping up, so good call.

Back
Top Bottom