Is Pavestone Pool Filter Sand good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evmrockz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP! Is Pavestone Pool Filter Sand good?

Hi, first of all, just want to let you guys know Im a newbie here, this is my first post, I have asked questions someplace else, but never got any good answers, so Im here, to get help from the fish experts. SO Hi to everyone!

Ok, So I went to home Deopt and bought a bag of Pool Filter sand, the brand is Pavestone. THe bag contains no info on chemicals it contains, it does not even say how many pounds, it just says "PAvestone Pool Filter Sand" and that its great for pool filters and .5 Cu. Ft. What is that? Im guessing it means 50 pounds? ANyways, I bought it since I heard Pool filter sand is great for Freshwater, and it was only like 5 bucks. Is this brand Safe to use? Also I started to wash it a bit, and it turned brownish color, like any other wet sand looks like. I though this sand was supposed to look white? Is this just normal? Forgot to mention, it has some brown and black specs around here and there. But the sand is mostly crystal looking.
Anyways, just want to make sure this sand is safe before I add it to my 55 gallon tank. Please help me out here, Im desperate for a fast answer, just cause I want my cory's to have a soft subtrate mostly than anything right now. So yeah, dont fell rushed though. Thank you for all the Help I recieve.

Last edited:
A little googling turned up: DFW Marine Aquarium Society • View topic - Home depot sand? REVISED!!!!!

I believe it is pulverized limestone. Do you have an API test kit? Nitrate test #2 has hydrochloric acid in it. Just one drop on some sand will fizz if it is pulverized limestone, and that would not be very good (unless you keep fish that love hard water). Otherwise, I can't find anything about the sand on the Pavestone website.

Back
Top Bottom