Is there anything more I can do for my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eli47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there. Am relatively new to the aquarium biz. I have just 2 tetras in a 5 gallon hex tank. When I change out the water I put the stuff in that takes all the chlorine and harmful stuff out of the new water and also add the salt. They seem healthy, but I'm going to petsmart today and wondered if there was anything else they would like or need? Like maybe a different kind of food (is there any such thing as fish treats:)?) or something to make them happier/healthier?? Thanks.

Most pet stores offer frozen fish food, and some will have live food. Usually insect larvae (bloodworms, glassworms or mosquitos) or brine shrimp are offered. They do seem to enjoy them frozen for a treat, but if you can get some live it's really interesting to watch them hunt. The bugs go fast though once they're in the tank.

Do these tetras need salt? Some fish do and some don't, so I'm not telling you not to do it, but make sure you know what it's for in this case.

You didn't say much about what else is in your tank setup, but even the biggest fish appreciate some cover, even if it's just plastic plants, so that they can sort of hide and feel safer. It isn't necessary to buy the big expensive decorations at pet store prices, but you can if you think they look nice. Some are really cool.

Or you can make them something. Live plants are great if you can take care of them, but with a 2 year old it's probably more work than it's worth. Driftwood can be good too, but make sure you read up on its preparation and be aware that it will color the water for a long while. I've also used brick, which I think looks good. Home Depot or similar charges just under 50 cents apiece, and if you get the red brick with holes in it that's sold for landscaping it makes great little tunnels for the fish to swim through and adds to the interest of the tank I think. None of that is necessary, but it can be fun.

Agree with the live/frozen food treat idea.

I am not sure about bricks .... some will leach stuff into our tank (esp. uncured concrete ones) and in a small tank that can be deadly. A better alternative would be unglazed terra-cotta pots.

That's true. I hadn't thought about concrete bricks. The landscaping bricks I have actually are terra cotta.

they dont REALLY need salt. BUT.....adding a small amount to the tank is said to promote gill health. I personally do add salt to my tank, but i cut the recommended amount in half.
Salt is also used as a tonic while treating fish for disease.

some people swear by using salt, some say its a waste its really personal preference, but whatever you decide....stick with it. dont go from using it to not using it to using it, as this could cause stress.

The best thing i would think you could get them is anoter friend or two or maybe even 3 more. But make sure you keep up with your PWC's.

Back
Top Bottom