Is this a common? *edit* Trinidad Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I aquired a new pleco today from James' moms tank. She bought a pleco back in January and had no idea what kind it was. I am assuming that it is a common, but James doesn't agree. It is a sailfin and has a long lyretail. We replaced her pleco with a Bristlenose since it's only a 29 gal tank. I took some pics while he was still in the bag, being acclimated to our tank. So if they aren't exactly clear, that's why. What do you guys think? Common? or something else?

Attachments

• pleco1.jpg
    pleco1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 235
  • pleco2_160.jpg
    pleco2_160.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 248
mine looks exactly like that. Im pretty sure its a common pleco.

hope you don't mind, here is a pic of mine:

img_417028_0_0b38edd19bd57c622acbd902f9fe2bb7.jpg

Thanks everyone! I knew that it had to be a common, but he just insisted that it had to be a something else because of the sailfin and coloration design. I guess I could tell him he's right, it's a Trinidad. :D

I kinda dislike the "common" tag associated with various pleco's. It makes it seem as if these gorgeous fish are somehow less in some value or importance.

When I purchased Cliff, he was in a tank labled "common" as well. It wasn't until I asked the same question did I find out he was actually a Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. So, rather than calling him something similar to a pteradactyl, I named him Cliff Gibbiceps. :D

JC- To me, all pleco's are cute. I love the way they glide through the water and when you watch them eat on the glass. Just because he's a common doesn't mean I'll like him any less. :D Hes still a cutie. But he's such a monster! Compared to my others, he is huge!

When I got my Sailfin Gibbiceps, he was listed as a Common. Then I went back to the store and they had changed it to a Marble Sailfin Pleco. After a bit of searching, come to find out that he's a Gibbiceps. He's my favorite, but that's just because he's still pretty small and is always out and about, showing himself.

That's exactly my point...get rid of the "common" tag and let's call them what they are, rather than be "generic" and continue using it. Pleco's are gorgeous! :D

Got it JC! :D I know I say it all the time, but i wish there were more fish that looked like Pleco's.

I have a pleco which I believe is a Trinidad. He was also labeled common pleco. He was very small, maybe 1.5" when I bought him. He has grown at least 1" in a month. I had trouble finding bristlenose, gold nugget, etc. My daughter calls him Woody because he hangs out on the driftwood and looks like wood himself. He's a cool fish and we like him but I worry about him outgrowing my 90 gal tank some day. I have a real problem with LFS labeling fish at a whim. One LFS in my area couldn't get rid of their female dwarf gourami. They were selling them about a buck cheaper than the males. A couple of weeks go I went in and these female gourami were now Powder Blue gourami and the price was higher than the males. Go figure! You have to know your fish before you buy and do your research. I don't think buying tropical fish should be like going to a used car salesman but sometimes it is. :(

I've also seen angels listed as "assorted". What the heck does that mean? If you don't know the species you could very well come home with: Marble, albino, veiled, blushing, koi, etc. (though I doubt if the koi will be in there...LOL), and not know the difference.

caribou said:
My daughter calls him Woody because he hangs out on the driftwood and looks like wood himself.
Heh, that's exactly why I named my rubbernose pleco that. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom