Is this biofilm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iwillbeatyoutwice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a new 10gallon for my soon to be home goldfish. Well I've had it up since sunday and wensday it was covered with this broken white particles. It would stick to anything I got it up with. When I turn on my airstone it broke most of it down.../ so what is this???

Iwillbeatyoutwice said:
I'm setting up a new 10gallon for my soon to be home goldfish. Well I've had it up since sunday and wensday it was covered with this broken white particles. It would stick to anything I got it up with. When I turn on my airstone it broke most of it down.../ so what is this???

Hi and welcome!
It does sound like it.
Unfortunately 10g isn't big enough to house a goldfish. Fancy goldfish grow to 6-12 inches and require 20g for the first fish and 10g for each fish after that. Common, shubunkin, commets and koi are pond fish and IMO do not belong in tanks. They can grow to 18 inches or more.
Are you cycling your new tank?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this.
Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Just to let you know goldfish do most of their growing in the first 3 years of life. If kept in too small of a tank their growth can be stunted. Keeping water conditions play a big part too. The cleaner the water the healthier and larger the fish will be. Minimum size of a fancy goldfish is 6 inches. When you think about it a 6 inch fish in a 10g tank isn't a good fit. I have 3 in a 40g and 2 in a 26g all of them about 1-3 inches long (so far) and I have to do 2 50% water changes a week to keep their water clean. Goldfish are messy creatures and dirty their water fast! Keeping good quality water in a 10g would require 3-5 large water changes a week IMO.

My sister had goldfish two fantails in a 10 gallon for 6 years.... I think I'm fine with one. Online it says one goldfish for 10gallon, I don't have money for another ten gallons...

Iwillbeatyoutwice said:
My sister had goldfish two fantails in a 10 gallon for 6 years.... I think I'm fine with one. Online it says one goldfish for 10gallon, I don't have money for another ten gallons...

Sigh....

The Goldfish have huge bioloads (meaning they produce a large amount of ammonia) which in such a small tank would quickly become a toxic environment.

Here we provide the information that is best for the fish not the fish keeper, mumma is very experienced when it comes to goldies so I would at least consider the info she gave her time to provide.

Everyone who knows anything about fish will tell you that goldfish are for large tanks and some are really only suitable for ponds.

Scouse.

Small tanks can cause stunting. Stunting can cause health issues such as deformed spines, enlarged organs, eyes and fins and leave fish more susceptible to disease. I should know! 3 of my goldfish are rescues from a small tank. One has septicemia (blood infection) and another is blind in one eye. We are here to provide accurate information to help you provide a happy, healthy home for you fish. We are not gaining anything from this. Ultimately it's your fish, your choice but we are just letting you know our experiences and knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom