Is this cruel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

APK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a tank for many years but recently bought a very large glass bowl, approx 2'x2'. Would guppies survive in it with the correct aeration etc? It would be a beautiful centrepiece....but I would only do it if they were happy.

I also have a 3' x 1' cylinder but think I read before that this would be too much pressure for fish to survive is this true?

If it's 2'x2', sure. Just finding a way to put a filter in it might be a bit difficult. A sponge would definitely work, though it would be hard to hide.

I have a tank for many years but recently bought a very large glass bowl, approx 2'x2'. Would guppies survive in it with the correct aeration etc? It would be a beautiful centrepiece....but I would only do it if they were happy.

I also have a 3' x 1' cylinder but think I read before that this would be too much pressure for fish to survive is this true?

Are you talking 3 feet deep by 1 foot in diameter? The fish would be fine if its 3 feet deep. However, its not likely that they'd use the majority of the water column. Maybe the top foot or so.

Are you planning to put a filter in it? The size is fine, but filters are important for fish. The same appies to the cylinder. No, the pressue will not kill fish. The problem with that is there is limited surface area to allow for gas exchange, so it would be harder to oxygenate the water and subsequently not many fish could be kept in it.

Is it cruel?

Thanks to all for replies...now I can get my plans together to develop one or both, I'll let you see the results...if successful !
Just joined this forum today and I have gained sooo much already, ye'll be sick of my queries, haha :thanks:

ahem I'm back... can anyone recommend a tall plant to set into the bottom of the cylinder, this would encourage the fish to move down maybe???

Jungle vals ? I wonder if these are available in Ireland, not too many jungles here lol. Appreciate you're suggestion I'll look into it.

APK said:
ahem I'm back... can anyone recommend a tall plant to set into the bottom of the cylinder, this would encourage the fish to move down maybe???

I would recommend moneywort for the cylinder because it grows tall in a short time and does not bush out and it would look very cool in the center also it's cheap

Reactions: APK
APK said:
Jungle vals ? I wonder if these are available in Ireland, not too many jungles here lol. Appreciate you're suggestion I'll look into it.

Domestic plants mean nothing unless that's the look your going for most plants are shipped in or grown in "aquatic farms"

Is this cruel

Gotcha but as far as I know plant suppliers are 'thin on the ground' here ..[excuse the pun] Will do some rescearch.

APK said:
Gotcha but as far as I know plant suppliers are 'thin on the ground' here ..[excuse the pun] Will do some rescearch.

Check the local fish stores and if you come up short try ordering online I find plants ship very well

jetajockey said:
If you want a tall plant that is pretty hardy and doesn't require a ton of light, look into bolbitis.

Yeah bolbitis and moneywort are good lower light options my moneywort grows in the shaded parts of my tank

Is it cruel?

Just checked Google I found a plant seller in the UK so need to check if they can deliver to Ireland. Again thanks for all the advice. Watch this space ..... !

Back
Top Bottom