Is this filter worth the extra price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've used an Emperor 280 and the smaller Penguin 200 for a few years. Initially they were fine but over time the noise from the impellers made me switch filters. They did move quite a bit of water. Not 100% sold on the biowheel as being the ultimate biomedia. I did not like the dependence on proprietary cartridges. I like the non-cartridge design of the Fluval/Hagan/AquaClear series.
If you can do a canister, then that would be your best bet for that tank size.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive used the emperor 350 for over a year on my 60 gallon mbuna tank. I personally like the fluval aquaclear model a lot better as a hob filter. My penguin 350 is still kicking but I far prefer the fluval filters.

I am all aqua clear for HOBS(too many).
Some have had noise issue with them but I think all filters make noise(except canisters{some}).
I have over 1000 g so noise is not an issue for me opposed to performance.
The flexibilty the aqua clears offer is not matched by any other hob.

Can't beat an aquaclear!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ran 2 ACs on my 75g that was home to an oscar and sev. Still my favorite filter (y)

Echoing the above, also in love with the AquaClears! I started with an Aqueon QuietFlow and added an AquaClear when I snagged a used one cheap. I much prefer the AquaClear overall. The media compartment is super convenient, as is the ability to adjust the flow. All in all it's fairly quiet too.

Okay guys I will try Aqua Clear. Can someone link me to examples of good ones? I didn't find any of Petmart's website. I have another local store but they are a little far away.

Okay guys I will try Aqua Clear. Can someone link me to examples of good ones? I didn't find any of Petmart's website. I have another local store but they are a little far away.

Here is a link to the Fluval Aqua Clear power filters on the website. For that tank size and heavy bioload occupants I would go with the AC110. Or for $10 more you can get a pair of the AC70s

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say its effective for algae but nothing else. The flow rate is too high to kill other things in the water.

Back
Top Bottom