Is this setup possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissyArizona

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a beginner and would like to start a 15 gallon freshwater tank.

Fish:
2-Guppies
2-Cory cats
2-Small Rainbow fish
4-Black Phantom Tetras

Also I would like to add:
1- Hermit crab
1-Snail
2- Newts

Is this set up possible?
Are they all compatible?
Will I need a larger tank?

Hi Missy, welcome :)

Some of it could work...
Guppies, if you are going to keep more than one you should have males only or 2 females to every male or the male will harass the females
Cories- what type? Either way they should really be in a school of 5 or more, the same with rainbows

I haven't kept phantom tetras but here they can be nippy (guppies in mind)

Are there any other fish you had in mind?

You could do something like
3 guppies (1m 2fm)
6 cories
6 peaceful schooling fish like harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs?

Maybe even a dwarf gourami as a centrepiece instead of the guppies?

Hope thats helpful, let me know what you decide :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the quick reply :)
Just saw a picture of the dwarf gourami, and its beautiful, definitely want that in my aquarium.

No problem :)

You can use a site called aqadvisor.com its a good general guide but not perfect.

Have you cycled your tank?

I definitely recommend a male dwarf gourami as a centerpiece although they can be hit or miss when it comes to health. There is this sickness they can have from being inbred too much. But I have a pair and they have been great.

They have tons of personality. Always comes to say hi when I come look at the tank :) this is the male
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426702419.903941.jpg

I love my fish!!!

The gourami might be nipples toward the really colorful long flowing fins of male guppies though.

I love my fish!!!

Definitely up the amount of corys if you want them. For a 15 gallon, probably the pygmy variety would be best, but I really like normal sized corys. If at all possible and if your budget and room space allows, I'd do a minimum 20 gallon long or more.

Good luck and continue your research here on AA!

Guppies, as said, should be in a ratio of 1 male to 2 females.

Corys, rainbows, and tetras all need to be in schools of 6+, and 6 corys will not fit in a 15 gallon tank. You should think about getting a 20 or 30 gallon.

A snail would work, however fire bellied newts (I assume this is what you were thinking) need land and water. Also, there is only 1 known species of true freshwater hermit crab and it is EXTREMELY rare.

A good stock for your tank would be:

2 female guppies
1 male guppy
6 pseudomugil rainbows (furcata, gertrudae, signifer etc.)
1 dwarf gourami
1 tiger blood nerite snail

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426752864.462182.jpg
Here's my dwarf gourami having a race with my angel :)
Had him around a year now and haven't had any issue with him being nippy but have heard they can he so maybe i'm just lucky :)

Back
Top Bottom