Is well water safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turtleman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have used well water for my outdoor fish in large rock bowls and small ponds. The fish have done well. Now, i have my first 150 gallon freshwater tank, is well water safe?
:thanks:

Many people, including myself have to use it, so it must be. Not sure if it's the best though...?

I just asked my lfs because I just moved and we are now on a well. He said it has more minerals than tap water. Kinda a plus!

It may be just fine.

Things to look out for:
-Does it stink of sulfur? If so, don't use it.
-Is it high in Iron? If your driveway, sidewalks or house have red stains on them don't use it. If it is not an irrigation well then have it tested for Iron.

Have the GH and KH tested and test the pH by letting a cup gas out for 24 hours. Do this so you know what you are starting with and if you should cut it with some RO/DI.

Well water will change as the seasons change. Heavy rain, drought, flooding, will all cause changes in your well. Test it seasonally.

I'm on we'll water. The pH is a bit high but I try to get fish that can adapt to it. I used to try to bypass the softener because I had heard it wasn't good, but eventually started using the softened water from the tap. So far no problems from that. Depending on the time of year, nitrates are high out of the tap. Just be aware.

... Depending on the time of year, nitrates are high out of the tap. Just be aware.

+1
Nitrate can be very high. I used to use the well water at my old house, nitrate was only 10ppm. I do not use the well water at my new house as the nitrate is off the chart, I live on a golf course. :(

For abrage22.
Wow! I will research every thing you said. Thanks!
For marsh,
Thanks for the tip I will be carfull
For blert,
After reading your advic, I am going to buy a water test kit. thanks
For Hholly,
I am going to buy for the ph test. Thanks for the advice.

Great info blert!! It just stormed the week I moved so I need to remember to test as the weeks go by for fluctuations I guess.

So how does one test for iron? Gh and kh are what exactly? I have a ph and high ph, I left a bucket out last night about to retest ph :)

My heater jacked the bucket temp all the way up to 90, it's cooled since but could this be a problem for bacteria or anything? I'm going a PWC tonight in my hospital tank that is cycled but still my old house's water, which is at 8.2 ph.

The water here tested 7.5 from the tap last night.

Back
Top Bottom