Issues setting up new 54G setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YamahaR1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my marineland corner pentagon sprung a leak. It was old. Very old

I bought the 54 bow corner today from Petsmart

First, the stand is a rim rather than a platform like the old marineland tank stand.

In the front of the stand it has a door.

Because of this door, the upper rim is COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED in this area.

I've filled it about 1/3, and I can slide this piece of paper between the tank and the stand. Its about a 20" stretch this can be done. 6" past each side of the door. Theres also some slight areas randomly where I can slide the paper through.

Where the door is, you can FLEX this rim. Therefore it will NEVER support the tank.

Am I crazy they would sell me that? Is it not an issue? If it was an issue, wouldn't they have a major recall disaster or something?

On a general note, I can't believe I paid them that much money for this stand. Grrrr

Attachments

• IMG_20160927_222029061.jpg
    IMG_20160927_222029061.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 55
Does seem really odd to me. Did you ask shop about it? I know tanks are funny with how much stress they can take but can't say I'd be keen on that setup either.

I'm still in disbelief. For almost 20 years now I've read that a tank needs to be supported on all sides. But posts and pictures online are proving that I am wrong. See picture below

I still don't like the flimsy construction of this stand. The top edges are only about 1.5" wide, and they all flex a lot by hand. The wife is right: I won't sleep at night unless I take actions to reinforce it. I think I am going to stop at HD on the way home and get some 3/4 sanded ply, and cut a solid top platform for it.

Attachments

• cinder2.jpg
    cinder2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 51
Yikes, shouldn't have looked at photo before bed - nightmares tonight. I keep wondering what would happen if it got knocked...

Some DIY sounds ideal to me.

Well evening 1 went pretty well. Screwed and glued waiting for finish coats. Its 3/4 birch plywood; options were limited. Its pretty rigid stuff but i'll have to coat it well for drips and whatnot. Nevermind that corner... my teen is not so good at instructions lol

Attachments

• IMG_20160928_211704798_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160928_211704798_HDR.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 52
Came out good. Finished in polyshades satin black. I love that stuff.

Leveled out too. Before, the front of the bow was low almost 1/4".

Not ready for fish yet. I kept the canister on another tank during transition. Yesterday I put 3ml of ammonia in this tank and today levels are still high so i'll have to wait until test kits give the go ahead.

Gives me time to shop online for some new plants

Attachments

• DSCI0781.JPG
    DSCI0781.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCI0792.JPG
    DSCI0792.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCI0798.JPG
    DSCI0798.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20161002_104155634_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161002_104155634_HDR.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 46
Ah they were temporarily relocated when the tank started leaking

Its 2 adult angels, a fat parrot cichlid, a clown pleco and a betta

Oh... and a couple dyed pink tetras. Cuz the wife. You know..

Back
Top Bottom