Isthere such a thing as too much driftwood in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyCakes81

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there such a thing as too much driftwood in a tank?
I am asking this question because my actual pH is lowering too much while fishless cycling.

Yes. Its effecting the water in your tank so when you change it out it will be back to the ph of your tap water.

And to answer your other question, some drift wood can lower your ph if you have enough of it. But its definitely because of the cycle not the wood unless you have looooads.

With a test kit. Low KH can let your ph fluctuate. Whats your ph?
I need to buy another test kit. :-(

According to the NYC Gov website city water is predominantly soft.

My pH from the tap is 7.0. My pH was holding steady until Nitrite started to appeared.

Ok. You could really do with a test kit because if your Ph drops below 6 you run the risk of stalling your cycle. So doing a water change and dosing ammonia back to 4-5ppm again wont hurt.
How do you know your water is a ph of 7?
You really need to get yourself a tester. How are you gonna know when your cycles finished? Obviously you have a test for ph ammo, nitrite or you wouldnt know your ph was dropping, sorry ignore most of that.

Ok. You could really do with a test kit because if your Ph drops below 6 run the risk of stalling your cycle. So doing a water change and dosing ammonia back to 4-5ppm again wont hurt, but you have no idea where 5ppm is without a test kit...
How do you know your water is a ph of 7?
You really need to get yourself a tester. How are you gonna know when your cycles finished? Obviously you have a test for ammo, nitrite?

I have the API Freshwater Master Kit. Does a KH test kit cost a lot?
Should I get crushed coral?

No no. Dont worry about your kh, honestly its your cycle thats lowering the ph. Wait until your cycle is complete. Just keep an eye on your ph and youll be fine.

No no. Dont worry about your kh, honestly its your cycle thats lowering the ph. Wait until your cycle is complete. Just keep an eye on your ph and youll be fine.

I disagree in that it is entirely apropriate to know the KH of your tank. It sounds like the release of hydrogen ions (H+) is lowering the pH of her water. This occurs when ammonia is converted to nitrite, which is why the pH has dropped as nitrite
rose.

nit_1.gif

However, the pH is only affected in lightly buffered water, which is why I suggest obtaining a KH test kit. Doing a waterchange will remove the H+ ions from the water, but will also remove the created nitrites, thus slowing your cycle. A water change will not fix anything, just be a band-aid for low pH that will occur again when nitrite levels rise. at a pH of 6.0 the nitrogen cycle becomes impared, and ceases completely at 5.0.

Knowing your KH will also be beneficial when fish are introduced, as their waste creates natural acids that will lower the pH in low alkalinity waters.

If you don't want to buy a KH test kit right now, but want to continue to cycle your tank with minimal water changes add a tsp or 2 of baking soda.

Yes a water change would take some of the nitrites out of the water, a very very small price to pay if you risk the chance of a cycle stall. The bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite are mainly inside the filter, ammo bacteria can convert ammo to nitrite VERY quickly once theyve started to establish. You may add half a day to your cycle, Its insignificant.

Obviously a kh tester would be good to have but its nothing to cry and run to your 24hr walmart for this far into tank setup.

I dont know how it came across and im not going to argue with the science you put before me today, but quite frankly thats another science lesson altogether and not something to explain the cycles ins and outs to a beginner with their first tank. I was simply putting her at ease that she wont kill her cycle by not having a kh tester. And she wont

That even assuming she even has low kh.

Yes a water change would take some of the nitrites out of the water, a very very small price to pay if you risk the chance of a cycle stall. The bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite is mainly inside the filter, ammo bacteria can convert ammo to nitrite VERY quickly once theyve started to establish. You may add half a day to your cycle, Its insignificant.

Obviously a kh tester would be good to have but its nothing to cry and run to your 24hr walmart for this far into tank setup.

I dont know how it came across and im not going to argue with the science you put before me today, but quite frankly thats another science lesson altogether and not something to explain the cycles ins and outs to a beginner with their first tank. I was simply putting her at ease that she wont kill her cycle by not having a kh tester. And she wont

That even assuming she even has low kh.

You didn't come across as arguing anything, just putting forth your opinion. I'm just putting forth mine. I'm not trying to argue anything. In fact, I agreed with you regarding the necessity of running out and purchasing a KH test kit this minute when I said to just add a couple tsp of baking soda.

I'm just pointing out that if she's doing a fishless cycle and the pH is dropping then it is due to H+ ions freed with the construction of nitrite. This will not lower pH in adequately buffered tanks, but will lower pH in tanks with limited buffering capacity. Hence my point in obtaining a KH test kit for the future maintenence of the tank.

Of course doing water changes doesn't remove the bacteria growing on the filter, but when their "food source" is removed, it limits their growth, slowing the cycle. Add some baking soda, keep the pH up during the cycle to minimize water changes. Thats the simple solution.

A KH test kit is not a necessity, but will come in handy for someone with low alkalinity tap water in the future for trying to stabelize pH. That is all.

Back
Top Bottom