It can't take as long the second time- fishless cycle log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm... I think you had too much ammonia in your water, but your tank is actually cycled. Good call to change most of the water!

Did you ever check your nitrates? I bet you had nitrates through the roof, which would cause the ph crash.

I think your fish will do just fine!

If your tap water still has ammonia, you can use ammo lock or another ammonia remover. The ammonia will be turned to ammonium and supposedly the bacteria will process the ammonium faster than ammonia. (not the case for me, btw) After 24 hours the ammonium bonds are weak and it turns back to ammonia. Hope the ammonia disappears again like mine did.

I even called the water department. It's probably good to keep them on their toes, knowing that people are out there testing the water!

Good luck with the fish! How exciting to finally get something in that tank!

I did check the nitrates sometimes, and they were high, which meant at some point I had to have nitrites.
I got 8 neon tetras and 4 of the glow fish ones. So far so good. Of course, I'm in the path of the hurricane. I'm going to hope I can get a backup air pump somewhere tomorrow before things get ugly, and I'll change the water as late as possible tomorrow and change more than usual. Hopefully everyone will make it through.

Wow! I was thinking of what people would do if the power goes out... Yikes! Did you end up getting hit hard?

Back
Top Bottom