Its been a month and still no nitrates or nitrites only ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1995

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a fish tank going for a month and i have 4 zebra danios and 1 alage eater i still havent had any nitrate or nitrites the ammonia is like 2.0 i have to do water changes like 2 times a week and put aqumel plus to keep them alive i have put stress enzyme in and it dosent affect it atall
what should i do

What size tank? If it's a tank that's too small for that many fish that's why you're seeing ammonia spike so fast. What filter do you have on the tank?

With ammonia at 2 I'd do a few back-to-back water changes; you really don't want to keep ammonia that high for fish. Twice a week water changes when cycling with ammonia that high isn't really good for the fish. Products like amquel are temporary and often only detoxify ammonia to a certain point; water changes are best.

Let us know the tank size and the filtration and we can go from there. Also what test kit are you using (strips, liquid etc)? Have you tested PH?

+1 with librarygirl. Water changes, water changes, water changes are the only way to get your ammonia level down until your BB is strong enough given your tank/filtration is appropriate for the stock you have. Fish IN cycling can take 6-8 wks so you may only be 1/2 way there.

librarygirl my tank is 20 gallons i have a topfin 20 and i penguin 100 filters a fluval m100 heater the range is from 77-80 i have put in stresszyme and it has no effect i use api master test kit my ph is 7.2 i believe and i have ordered dr.tims one and only nitrifiying bacteria to see if it works it should be here in the next few days

Back
Top Bottom