I've finally done it!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have gotten my girlfriend to want to start her own aquarium! She has always wanted a farm and her own garden, however we live in a small condo with no room for plants. So the other day she had mentioned something about plants that grow in water, to which I replied " you mean the type that grow in an aquarium?" "Yes" she said "but I don't want to put them on yours so I'll have to get my own tank then huh?" god I love this woman!

So my question is what would be the best size for her to start with?! I was thinking somewhere around 29-55 gal. I gave her the link to plant geek to start researching plants. What level of lighting should I suggest so I don't have to build her a Co2 reactor and she can just dose ferts?

dude thats awesome!! just a suggestion,if your lights are good enough,moneywort is a great option(and its lighting requirement isnt that high,i think there med light plants). i would go med light,that way shes got a bunch of plants to choose from,but co2 is unnescessary

She'll buy whatever lights she needs to, I won't let her run a "stock" tank. Lots of upgrades, but don't tell her that ;-)

I thought petco's sale was still on? Anyways, congrats. It's nice having a supporting significant other. Took a while for me to get to that point.

Petco has the 1 dollar 1 gal. Sale til the 16th. I actually called a rep. This morning to ask about that.unfortunatly, frankfort is a min. Away from me :(

We had to pay bills already and don't get paid again until the 21st :-/

Just forget the bills they'll be there next month but the sale won't be J/K, but congrats on turning her to the dark side. My wife only concerns herself with fry and her Fluval Chi with a pink orchid that was ordered today, but after 17 years marriage and and putting up with tours in Afganistan and Somalia and all my tanks I wouldn't trade her for anyone else.

Last edited:
That's great! I'm working on my sister too... But that would require me switching to saltwater and buying a mandarin goby... Lucky you that your wife has much... Easier tastes! Lol.

Congrats, you convinced another one to come join us and the fish!

No matter how convincing I am, I don't think any of my family members will ever share with me the interest I have in fish. My sister thinks I'm crazy.

No one in my family understands. They're all like "WHy don't you spend your time doing something else?" or "How about you study for your test instead of reading fish magazines?" but I can't help myself! The only people who share my obsession is my five year-old cousin and my grandma, I think fish OCD is like an inconsistent gene trait in our family....

Haha yes, I read TFH and AFI, aka "The Fishkeeping Hobby" and "Aquarium Fish International", dunno bout you but I find some pretty good stuff in there, however I only get them spoadically, they are usually not available a lot unless I take a twenty-minute drive down to Borders.

Back
Top Bottom