I've found a good kit I think. Now, more help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackiee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, so I went to 3 different pet stores to find an adequate kit to start a FW aquarium with. I found a good one at Petco. Here's some information on it:

-29 gallon aquarium with black trim
-20 watt florescent bulb
-whisper power filter
-whisper filter cartridge
-100 watt. heater
-fish net
-water conditioner
-fish food
-external thermometer
-instructions
-Free fish with purchase

Cost - $119.99

Is this an okay kit to start out with?

Also, more questions. I know a 20 watt light isn't very bright, I could try to get a stronger bulb.

Anything else I need?
-Gravel
-plants/decor
-fish (I'm thinking JUST fish for my first tank).

Also, how many fish would I be able to house in this? I've heard of giving a gallon for every inch of adult fish. I'm thinking of starting out small ofcourse, but is it possible to house around 15 when fully stocked? They will be relatively small fish. I saw some baby cichlids at some petstores, I'm wondering if they are aggressive as adult cichlids, if they are then they will probably not be in my tank. Any reccomends? I'm thinking guppies, a couple plecos, gouramis, silver dollars, angelfish, barbs, neon tetras, danio, a figure eight puffer possibly.

Please give me as much critisism as you can with the fish picking, I don't want to start out in failure because the fish are killing each other. I'm also thinking about ordering some fish from liveaquaria.com if not getting them from the pet store.

I'd also like to know about setup! How to do it, what else I need? Thanks so much!

Additional needs:
1. A good, study, aquarium stand. Most regular furniture is not made to hold the weight of a full aquarium. Estimate 10 pounds per gallon (it's actually closer to 8 1/2, but the math is easier with 10) and you are going to have a tank that weighs about 290 pounds when full. I know it's expensive, but get a good stand.
2. A water test kit that will test, at minimum, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.

Highly recommended:
1. A Python (or good knockoff brand) for your water changes.
2. Although you will get most of your best knowledge from this site (if you stick around and ask questions), some of us old timers occasionally like to look at these strange flopping things called "books." I would highly recommend one: Freshwater Aquariums, by David E. Boruchowitz. It is VERY practical, and tells you most of what you need to know as a beginner about how NOT to fail. I have repeatedly tested the contents of that book by posting questions on this board, and I have not yet been steered wrong even once.

A couple of general comments: Read the some of the articles on this board, and read the sticky threads at the beginning--especially the stuff about cycling your tank. You MUST cycle the tank (ie. allow bacteria to grow that will detoxify the wastes that will rapidly accumulate in your tank once you introduce fish), and it is helpful to know what you need to do BEFORE you do it.

Fish choice is up to you. It will take a little while to get your tank cycled, especially if you do a fishless cycle, so that will be plenty of time for you to explore different types of fish, figure out what you like, and learn about compatibility. There are some issues with your fish list in terms of both compatibility and size for your tank, but you'll have time to figure that out.

About tank capacity, a couple of words:
1. Bigger is better. It is easier to maintain proper levels, and not have disasters with a bigger tank than with a smaller one. 29 is adequate, but if you can afford to go bigger, and have the space to do so, go for it.
2. The fish per inch thing is a guideline, but a pretty solid one. However, you MUST look at the adult size of the fish--not their present size. Also, some fish produce much more waste, and require more space. An 8-inch oscar, for example, will produce much more waste and need much more space than 8 1-inch neon tetras.

So, anyway, those are some opening thoughts. Oh, and welcome!

I think 100W heater will not be sufficient, you should get at least 150W so that you will have around 5W per gallon.

I personally am not a fan of the Tetra brand. IMO they do not make quality products (especially their filters and heaters). I would go with an AquaClear filter, you can put nearly any kind of media in them.
The heater should be 150 watts for a 29g. External thermometers can be inaccurate but some are pretty decent.
You could get guppies, just know if you get any females it is likely you can get lots and lots of babies.
A common pleco would get too big for a tank of that size so go with one of the smaller kinds (ex: bristlenose or clown). Many plecos enjoy some driftwood to munch on.
Gouramis (especially males) can be quite territorial with each other. Easiest way to not have problems with them is only getting one per tank, but you can go with say 1 male and 3+ females to spread aggression.
Silver dollars will get to big for a tank that size. I have little experience with angelfish so I'll leave it to someone else to say what they think about having them with the fish you want.
Many barbs can be a bit nippy and are usually not a good idea with guppies and other long-finned fish.
A school of neons should be fine but I think they could end up being a meal for angels (if you get them). Danios would be ok, except for giant danios which the tank is a bit small for them.
Puffers are best kept in a species tank (they are aggressive and nippers).

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied!

Alright, so I'll try and get the aquaclear filter instead, a 150 watt heater, anything else?

I think I'm just going to use fake plants, colored gravel, and some other rock decor for now.

I've read a couple articles on the cycling of the tank. So, would it be better to go to the hardware store and buy pure ammonia to add to the tank (also, how do I do this? As in, get the tank running, then just plop some in? How much? And when do I measure?) or would it be better to buy some raw shrimp or something like that and just put one in the bottom and it will naturally produce ammonia?

Please let me know! Also, how long does a cycle go for? Thanks!

one note on your comment regarding the strength of the bulb...you need to read the label on the fixture, it very well may be that the ballast cannot handle more than 20 watts.

$119.00 seems like alot. Around here you can pick up a new 55 gallon kits with everything included for under $150.00 at petsmart, petco, or walmart. If you have more room I'd go for the biggest tank you could to start off with.

talloulou said:
$119.00 seems like alot. Around here you can pick up a new 55 gallon kits with everything included for under $150.00 at petsmart, petco, or walmart. If you have more room I'd go for the biggest tank you could to start off with.

Really? I can't find that good of deals in my city. I'd like to get a 55 gallon, but it might be too much. I'm leaving for college in a little over a year and I probably won't be able to take my fish or keep them.

Thanks for replying! I'll keep looking!

I also found a kit at Petsmart, it's a "TopFin" brand kit, comes with the same stuff, except I don't know what kind of heater, filter, or wattage the bulb is on it. It's $109.99, I suppose I could get it and replace them. Also, how much do stands usually cost?

Jackiee said:
I've read a couple articles on the cycling of the tank. So, would it be better to go to the hardware store and buy pure ammonia to add to the tank (also, how do I do this? As in, get the tank running, then just plop some in? How much? And when do I measure?) or would it be better to buy some raw shrimp or something like that and just put one in the bottom and it will naturally produce ammonia?

I am using the pure ammonia method. I've never heard any problems using raw shrimp, but I would rather not waste perfectly good shrimp. Plus, you have to wait for the shrimp to break down and produce ammonia, whereas if you are just adding the pure ammonia, you are a step ahead. The amount will depend on the concentration, but here is what was recommended to me and seemed to work: Get your tank up and running, including hooking up the filter and using the heater to bring the water temperature up. Make sure to dechlorinate the water (as I found out the hard way) even though you don't have fish yet. Add a little ammonia at a time, let sit long enough to mix (20-30 min or longer), test your water, and then add more if need be. I think I added about two caps full, and then tested, and added one cap at a time until I got up to 4-5 ppm. I believe it took about 4 caps to get there in a 55.

Good luck!

talloulou said:
Also, how much do stands usually cost?
Prices on stands vary greatly on what kind you want. Metal stands are the cheapest but some people don't like the look of them. Example: http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=27039;category_id=2821
Then there's wood and particle board stands, wooden being the most expensive. Wooden ones have the most variety though. Examples of wooden: http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32229;category_id=3887;pcid1=2253;pcid2=
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31131;category_id=2167;pcid1=2253;pcid2=

didn't read all the replies but what i do know is I bought a kit to start aswell thinking the easiest way was the best. I ended up replacing the heater, the therm., the filter and the light. So all I kept was the tank and the net. Doing a little research and spending the same to 10% more will save you in the long run. why research? To find out what others experiences may have been.
Aquaclear is a great filter.

On the fish, all are great but you'll find alot of them to big for a 29gal. Theplecos alone can get to be 8"+ each. The one inch per gallon is only a guideline. For ex. you wouldn't keep a 29" fish in your 29gal, but you could keep 29 1" fish in it.

Ask alot of questions and read as much as you can on hear and in books.

Definitely replace the Whisper filter. I got a kit with one, replaced it, got a kit with another, and had a replacement ordered before I had water in the thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom