Jenn's 55gal native species build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mogurako said:
I looked into the laws while talking to Jeta about native tanks awhile back. It is illegal to collect fish in Washington state for the purpose of keeping in a home aquaria.

Where did you find that? I've been looking online and can't find anything.

Why is it illegal? I don't understand why I can't keep a fish in a tank.

Bearchumjs said:
Where did you find that? I've been looking online and can't find anything.

Why is it illegal? I don't understand why I can't keep a fish in a tank.

I found it on NANFA's website. I am not sure exactly why it is illegal, we also can not use any live fish as bait.

Mogurako said:
I found it on NANFA's website. I am not sure exactly why it is illegal, we also can not use any live fish as bait.

Found this on the WDFW page.

-------------

Scientific Collection Permits

As specified in WAC 220-20-045 and RCW 77-32-240, it is unlawful to collect foodfish, shellfish, or wildlife or their nests and/or eggs for the purpose of research or display without first obtaining a Washington state scientific collection permit.

State scientific collection permits are issued to scientists/researchers, educators/educational institutions, and museums, aquariums/zoos. They are NOT issued to the general public for collection/take of fish and/or wildlife.

---------------
Then I clicked on the first rule.

(b) "Display" means to place or locate fish, shellfish, wildlife, or the nests of birds, so that public viewing is allowed.

----------------
I'm not putting these fish on public display.

It's my understanding that you cant sell or buy native species, you can't open an aquarium exhibit for people to come see, but if I catch one and put it in my personal fish tank for my own personal enjoyment then it's fine.

If you can find that rule on that nanfa site please post a link.

Bearchumjs said:

As specified in WAC 220-20-045 and RCW 77-32-240, it is unlawful to collect foodfish, shellfish, or wildlife or their nests and/or eggs for the purpose of research or display without first obtaining a Washington state scientific collection permit.

It says right there that it's illegal to collect wild specimen unless you have the Scientific collection permit and since you do not qualify for one it would be Illegal for you to collect native fish even if it's so your own private aquarium. Granted this law isn't always enforced but personally I would not risk it.

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/9380-seine-net/page__pid__72207#entry72207

Mogurako said:
It says right there that it's illegal to collect wild specimen unless you have the Scientific collection permit and since you do not qualify for one it would be Illegal for you to collect native fish even if it's so your own private aquarium. Granted this law isn't always enforced but personally I would not risk it.

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/9380-seine-net/page__pid__72207#entry72207

Ok. I just feel like its speaking to people who want to do research or display them to the public like in an aquarium or zoo.

Any idea what the penalty is?

Bearchumjs said:
Ok. I just feel like its speaking to people who want to do research or display them to the public like in an aquarium or zoo.

Any idea what the penalty is?

The way it read to me, is those are the only people who'd qualify for the permit and would be able to collect fish or other critters.

I belive the fines depend on what you've collected and how much you have, I'm basing this off of seeing people get tickets for fishing infractions. From my understanding though they can issue you a ticket and confiscate any all of your collection gear/ any thing you've collected. Once you have it in your home though I don't believe there's anything they can do.

Is there a certain fish you're after?

Smallmouth, bluegill, crawdad's. Nothing crazy.

I understand they want to protect the environment but what's the difference of me catching it to eat or tossing it in my aquarium? I'll just eat it later when it gets big. I have a valid fishing license. I'm not going to be setting out traps or anything. Funny how laws are written and interpreted in different ways.

Bearchumjs said:
Smallmouth, bluegill, crawdad's. Nothing crazy.

I understand they want to protect the environment but what's the difference of me catching it to eat or tossing it in my aquarium? I'll just eat it later when it gets big. I have a valid fishing license. I'm not going to be setting out traps or anything. Funny how laws are written and interpreted in different ways.

I wouldn't eat anything once it gets to big, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't taste all that great.

You'd need a huge tank for those fish, I had bluegill and I ended up having to throw them in the pond we made. Just use barbless hooks and throw them in a live well, they have no way of disproving the fact you're not taking them home to eat. Adhere to catch and size limits and you'll be fine.

Mogurako said:
I wouldn't eat anything once it gets to big, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't taste all that great.

You'd need a huge tank for those fish, I had bluegill and I ended up having to throw them in the pond we made. Just use barbless hooks and throw them in a live well, they have no way of disproving the fact you're not taking them home to eat. Adhere to catch and size limits and you'll be fine.

Just curious why you think they wouldnt taste good. Because of their diet in a home aquarium?

Hey! Your from the other side of the state. Have you been to the sturgeon exhibit at the bonneville dam? I think that's the one... Anyway, the fish hatchery there. Those sturgeon are awesome!

We may go down to the Sportsmans store and get one of those "minnow catcher" things so we can catch tiny bass instead of "pretty much almost grown you could eat them in a few months" size bass. We also have to go catch crawdad's. They had one in the tank of Goldie's at petco. They wouldn't sell it to me because apparently its illegal to sell them in WA state.

I have not been to the exhibit! I will have to look into this!
Your tank looks incredible btw... keep at it!

I looked into the laws while talking to Jeta about native tanks awhile back. It is illegal to collect fish in Washington state for the purpose of keeping in a home aquaria.

That sucks :(

Well, I *AM* a college student, and *AM* a science major... and do volunteer at a marine research center.... sooooooo maybe I figure out how to get a permit ;)

I really want one of those lumpsuckers haha... these little guys are awesome

aq_lumpsucker.jpg

janky said:
I have not been to the exhibit! I will have to look into this!
Your tank looks incredible btw... keep at it!

That sucks :(

Well, I *AM* a college student, and *AM* a science major... and do volunteer at a marine research center.... sooooooo maybe I figure out how to get a permit ;)

I really want one of those lumpsuckers haha... these little guys are awesome

I think the fish hatchery is on I-84 on the Oregon side of the Columbia. Its late and I don't remember. It's at bonneville dam. Go check it out! It's pretty neat.

What is that a picture of?! Crazy looking fish!

I think the fish hatchery is on I-84 on the Oregon side of the Columbia. Its late and I don't remember. It's at bonneville dam. Go check it out! It's pretty neat.

What is that a picture of?! Crazy looking fish!

It's called the "lumpsucker" fish, as they have a little suction cup thing on their ventral side that allows them to stick to the substrate. They have them at the aquarium I volunteer at and the Seattle aquarium as well. Really cool lookin, and incredibly goofy in person (or at feeding time). Native fish to PNW waters :)

Rockfish are pretty cool too (and local!)... here's the green one they have at the aquarium (you can see the orange guy in the back as well)

img_1873151_0_365578ddd780bae0878feb7538e3662b.jpg

Anyway, enough derailing with my native species wish-list :lol:

Any new progress on the tank?

Bearchumjs said:
Found this on the WDFW page.

-------------

State scientific collection permits are issued to scientists/researchers, educators/educational institutions, and museums, aquariums/zoos. They are NOT issued to the general public for collection/take of fish and/or wildlife.

---------------
Then I clicked on the first rule.

(b) "Display" means to place or locate fish, shellfish, wildlife, or the nests of birds, so that public viewing is allowed.

----------------
I'm not putting these fish on public display.

It's my understanding that you cant sell or buy native species, you can't open an aquarium exhibit for people to come see, but if I catch one and put it in my personal fish tank for my own personal enjoyment then it's fine.

If you can find that rule on that nanfa site please post a link.

"For the purpose of " is the key part of that to me. That specific law doesn't read against all collecting to me, but there may be others that do.

There was a new addition last night!

My husband went fishing and caught a big cat. Got home and this little guy was in the bucket with the cat. I think he most have gotten scooped up when he filled some water in the bucket. Cat was too big so he's dinner. This guy though- he's in the tank. I am not sure what it is. Maybe a baby salmon?

jetajockey said:
"For the purpose of " is the key part of that to me. That specific law doesn't read against all collecting to me, but there may be others that do.

That's what I thought too.

Forgot to mention there is also a waterbug in the tank. The kids love watching him swim around. LOL! The comets chase him. He's too big for them to eat.

Looks likes a salmon or trout to me, I would personally take this comets out if your serious about keeping natives in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom