Journey of my 55 Gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well my tank is cycled as of today. It only took 13 days! I'm not sure if this is good, but it's a personal best for me.

Tank started as of 4/22/11 (AC 70, some German heater, an old power head, and a few pinches of fish food to start the cycle.)

4/23/11 50% PWC due to unwashed gravel..

4/24/11 Added shrimp for cycling

4/26/11 Tested water
Ammonia : 0.5
Nitrite: Odd reading, possibly wrong (5.0)
Nitrate: Once again, I believe this is wrong also (5.0)

4/27/11 Removed shrimp due to complaints about the smell from my sisters. Instead placed 15-20 Feeder guppies to cycle.

4/30/11 Tested water
Ammonia : 1.0-2.0
Nitrite: 1.0-2.0

5/1/11 Bought Fluval 405, set it up and running.

5/4/11 Tested water
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 5.0

5/7/11 Tested Water
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite: 2.0

5/7/11 25% PWC

5/8/11 Moved the media from AC70 to my Fluval 405.

5/9/11 Tested water
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5.0-10.0 (Not accurate reading also, as I saw my youngest sister playing with the vials and placed a few drops of one of the chemicals into the vial. Not sure which chemical was used, but I wouldn't use this Nitrate reading for reference)

I know this blog sort of post is really inaccurate because of the spacing between water tests, and the two odd readings of Nitrite and Nitrate (API test kits are hard to read!)

Anyways, placing my 2 juvie Angelfish from my 15 gallon into my 55 gallon sometime today. Removing all the guppies also and placing them into the 15. Oh. pH is 7.6-7.8 due to my dad mistakening one of my water bottles as aquarium water during a PWC and dumping 5 gallons of R/O water into my tank. 7.8 Without R/O.

Actually. I think I'll hold off on removing my Angelfish because I plan on changing the substrate to convert my tank into a planted aquarium.

Feeder guppies or any fish for cycleing isn't a good idea. Just because they're feeders doesn't mean they don't feel pain. It's too late now, but try to stick with a fishless cycle next time.

Anyway, sounds like your on the right track. What are your plans now?

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Feeder guppies or any fish for cycleing isn't a good idea. Just because they're feeders doesn't mean they don't feel pain. It's too late now, but try to stick with a fishless cycle next time.

Anyway, sounds like your on the right track. What are your plans now?

--Adeeb

Yeah i know. It kinda hurt me to do it, but i couldn't find any ammonia, so it was my only choice. I'm going to replace my gravel with peat topped with oildri and plant it, then use the tank as a discus tank with my two angelfish and some cory cata

shadowstars123 said:
Yeah i know. It kinda hurt me to do it, but i couldn't find any ammonia, so it was my only choice. I'm going to replace my gravel with peat topped with oildri and plant it, then use the tank as a discus tank with my two angelfish and some cory cata

As you mentioned, some of your readings were odd, IMO I don't think that your tank cycled from new in 13 days, but is just my opinion, I believe that you are not cycled yet.
How are you taking your water readings? I mean, what type of test do you have?

I wouldn't use peat as a substrate. It will make your water yellow and cause pH instability without regulation. Why not try a plant substrate like Eco complete? Get it planted and stable before adding discus.

Make sure you have liquid test kits. Strips are really innacurrate which would explain your funny readings.

--Adeeb

ejaramillo01 said:
As you mentioned, some of your readings were odd, IMO I don't think that your tank cycled from new in 13 days, but is just my opinion, I believe that you are not cycled yet.
How are you taking your water readings? I mean, what type of test do you have?

Api mastet liquid

adeebm said:
I wouldn't use peat as a substrate. It will make your water yellow and cause pH instability without regulation. Why not try a plant substrate like Eco complete? Get it planted and stable before adding discus.

Make sure you have liquid test kits. Strips are really innacurrate which would explain your funny readings.

--Adeeb

It is liquid. The peat won't be exposed to the water column very much, it'll be a good 2 inches under fine substrate.

Back
Top Bottom