Judge my quick cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I understand all of that part.. sorry, I wasn't thinking for a second. I can't do any pwc's till my syphon arrives though which could take a few days, so my nitrates are going to keep rising

Good , glad that's squared away. Keep being patient. You aren't too far from being done. The hardest part of this is waiting.

No I understand all of that part.. sorry, I wasn't thinking for a second. I can't do any pwc's till my syphon arrives though which could take a few days, so my nitrates are going to keep rising

Not a problem, you generally don't need to get nitrates down during a fishless cycle (with fish is another story; you don't want them getting above 20 when you have fish, but your weekly pwc will take care of that). My nitrates shot past 160 during my fishless cycle.

No you are trying to do the right things and that is respectable.

So I woke up after having 5ppm 12 hours ago and it is now 0.25 and u guess the nitrate is 95. I am not adding anything but I will be at school for the 24 h mark so just tested it to make sure. Is all going well?

phoebekatee said:
So I woke up after having 5ppm 12 hours ago and it is now 0.25 and u guess the nitrate is 95. I am not adding anything but I will be at school for the 24 h mark so just tested it to make sure. Is all going well?

Yes, but what is your Nitrite level? Looks like things are going great otherwise. Ammonia is being processed really well.

0. Has been 0 most of the time through the whole process :) Due to the amount of seed which makes my cycle go extremely fast. It possibly has some nitrite overnight whilst it converts but by the morning there is no trace!

Yes looks very good. :) You don't have to redose at exactly the 24 hour mark so if you aren't home until later that's fine; dosing the ammonia more than once per day is what you want to avoid.

Huh.. 9 hours later and the ammo is just a tiny bit less than 0.25 but not at 0. Is this a stall or should I just be patient? :3

Huh.. 9 hours later and the ammo is just a tiny bit less than 0.25 but not at 0. Is this a stall or should I just be patient? :3

Are you reading the test correctly? The 0 to 0.25 test on the API kit is the hardest to read. The tube can look yellow, but you hold it against the card and it looks .25. To be sure, you could test some spring water or distilled water and then compare the two tubes; if they match, your tank ammo is 0.

How often are you testing? I think you're going to drive yourself crazy. :lol: Just test at the 24 hour mark after adding ammonia. If it's under 1, redose. If it's 0, great! (and redose). :D

phoebekatee said:

9 hours since you added ammonia, or 9 hours since you last tested?

* After re-reading...I assume you mean 12 hours after it was added it was at .25, and now 9 hours after that (21 hours total) it's at .25?
If so...I'm ready to call the tank cycled. Most likely Librarygirl is right since it's so hard to tell the difference between 0 and .25 on the test kit...but even if it truly is at .25, I'd say you're done. If your bacteria can drop 4-5ppm of ammonia to .25 with zero no2 within a day...you've got enough bacteria to handle the output of a stocked tank. Enjoy your fish :)

Last edited:
Aw gee thanks. I honestly can't thank either of you enough. I started in the summer with a small bowl holding 4 ill-health rescued fish, and now I have a cycled tank! You are both amazing, and one day I hope to be a skilled aquatic just like you! Speak soon (And I mean it.. I am never satisfied!) :p xoxox

I concur. I would call it cycled and get some fish..... Don't forget to turn the heat down and do a Pwc to get the nitrates down... You did good....

Back
Top Bottom