Julieann

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julieann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
good morning, i need a little help, i have this fish (age 1) and he seems depressed but he hasnt always been like it, he stays in the corner on the floor of the tank most of the time although he does have a little swim every so often. hes eating ok, he's not being picked on, the tank has plenty of room, he has no signs of tail rot, white spot, swim bladder, well, he looks fine. although he isnt growing as fast as the identical fish i bought at the same time. infact the other fish is twice his size. i have 6 fish in total and the rest are really healthy. please can anyone help, i wouldnt want to loose one half of jedwood :(

What type of fish is it? What size tank? Cycled? What equipment? Heated? There is a lot of information we need to accurately help you
Also a photo would help

sad fish

hi the tank is 60ltr, cold water. i have had the other fish in this tank for 3 and a half yrs i have fresh plants, 2 large air stones, and a very good filter. he's a veiltail, the other fish i have with him are another veiltail, 2 fancy goldfish 4yrs, 1 blackmore 4yrs + 1 one eyed placid goldfish 4yrs. we do all the water changes we should, anti chlorine tabs etc. i have noticed today that the odd scale is turning silver, or just looking different to the others. i tried to take a good pic, but saying cheeeeze doesn't work with gold fish i found. ;-]. thank you for taking the time to help me x

Attachments

• DSC00746.jpg
    DSC00746.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00728.jpg
    DSC00728.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00739.jpg
    DSC00739.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00749.jpg
    DSC00749.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 62
That tank is only 15 gals which isn't big enough for one fancy let alone 7
You need a 80 gal tank or 320 liter tank for your fish
I'm thinking toxin poisoning

I agree with emerald, not nearly a big enough tank. You need to invest in a seriously bigger tank or start rehoming your fish

Do you have a test kit? If not you should get one and start testing your tank levels. This will tell you how your tanks water really is. It's easy to think we do enough water changes but the reality is you have a lot of fish in a tiny tank. Gold fish make a lot of waste as it is. How often do you do water changes? Water may look nice and clear but it doesn't mean it is ok.

thanks for that although i just read up on it and its frightned me to death thinking i have burnt my poor fish, i cant rush out to buy another tank just yet so ill do water changes every day, how much do you recommend i take and replace. thanks again for your help x
ps that will teach for listening to my petshop who said 5ltrs per fish is ample, if id listed to him id only need a 30ltr tank for my 6 fish :0[

thanks for that although i just read up on it and its frightned me to death thinking i have burnt my poor fish, i cant rush out to buy another tank just yet so ill do water changes every day, how much do you recommend i take and replace. thanks again for your help x
ps that will teach for listening to my petshop who said 5ltrs per fish is ample :0[

Yes, sadly a lot end up in poor situations because of under educated workers. One of the last times I was in to buy a few new fish for my tank the man serving me told me he had 14 assorted tetras in a 5 gal tank. He was planning a "big upgrade" to a ten gal which would still leave his tank over stocked.

I would probably do 50% changes daily though if you get a test kit and figure out your levels you can be more sure on the amount. I remember reading in one of the above stickies I believe about ammonia levels and best partial water change amounts. I'm not 100% sure but I believe I read if it's .5 ppm ammonia to do a 50% change.

Good luck!

good morning, ive done a 50% water change and will continue till i can get out to get another tank. thank you ever soo much for talking the time to reply to me, and i will get a kit as well. im just hoping that he'll be ok poor little thing :(. i should see a difference soon i hope, fingers crossed xxxxxxxxxx

no change

hi me again, ive done everything you advised, but he is still the same. just sitting at the bottom, he does go for a swim now and again but he's just not happy. do you think it might be another problem? he is soo much smaller than the other identical fish i bought at the same time. i dont know what to do. he looks so sad just sat there looking around. he is also not eating as much as the rest of my fish. thank you for your time xxxxxx :(

A much bigger tank is definitely in order here. As suggested, minimum of 80+gallons for 7 fancies. A good liquid test kit such as the API freshwater master test kit is very important here because its very likely that theres toxic levels of ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate. Continue with the 50% daily water changes with properly conditioned, temperature matched water in the meantime.

Unfortunately, your fish are likely stunted from inadequate room to grow. Your 4yr old fish should be well over 6inches each by now. Keeping their water very healthy & upgrading their tank is the best thing you can do for them. Your fish that is acting strange hopefully will recover with adequate, healthy water. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

just a update on little jedwood, after 2 months of lying on the bottom of the tank not eating and looking really depressed. and after daily 50% water changes, i woke up 2 days ago and he was as happy as lary, swimming around, eating, swimming up and down in the water bubbles. he is now one happy fish. took ALOT of work but worth every minute of it. thank you for all your help. love julieann xx :fish2::fish2::fish2:

just a update on little jedwood, after 2 months of lying on the bottom of the tank not eating and looking really depressed. and after daily 50% water changes, i woke up 2 days ago and he was as happy as lary, swimming around, eating, swimming up and down in the water bubbles. he is now one happy fish. took ALOT of work but worth every minute of it. thank you for all your help. love julieann xx :fish2::fish2::fish2:

awesome news! glad he's doing so great

Back
Top Bottom