Jumping to the Fresh side...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that's a reasonable estimate. So far I think I've spent about $325 on mine, which is a little bigger than what you're planning. That number should account for the fact that prices are jacked up pretty sky-high here, too.

If you have a local aquarium club you might check them out, also. I've gotten some pretty good deals from the aquaria society auctions here. Lots of used filters and heaters on the cheap.

Some nice easy plants I wod recommend would be amazon swords, Anubias nana, anacharis, and water wisteria, as well as a Marimo moss ball

I think that's a reasonable estimate. So far I think I've spent about $325 on mine, which is a little bigger than what you're planning. That number should account for the fact that prices are jacked up pretty sky-high here, too.

If you have a local aquarium club you might check them out, also. I've gotten some pretty good deals from the aquaria society auctions here. Lots of used filters and heaters on the cheap.

Unfortunately I don't have a local aquarium club. And my craigslist is jacked up prices or completely dry.

It shouldn't be a deal-breaker. I bought my filter, heater, and light hood all brand new for about $180 CAD after taxes. I'm sure you can get better deals than that where you are, plus your tank will be smaller. I ended up buying mine online to save some money.

Look on aquabid if you don't mind shipping fish. The freshwater section is insane and you can find really nice fish at a good price.

Not sure about turnover rate specifically, but it's definitely better to overfilter when in doubt so you can stock to full capacity. A lot of people here recommend using a filter rated for twice the capacity of your tank. I've got a 35g with an AquaClear 70, for example.

If I misunderstood your question, I apologize!

Edit: And yes, 20 long is better. The more surface area the better, generally speaking.

General consensus for turnover rate is 4 x the tank volume an hour. It depends on the inhabitants I guess but for an average community tank 4 x is considered ok albeit on the minimum side.

Just remember that the flow rating on your filter is the flow rating without media in to so it would be wise to compensate for this also.

Back
Top Bottom