jumpstarting cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am about to start a fishless cycle on a 33 gal. I have an established 55 that I would like to use to get the new one going. The filter on the established tank is rena xp3, but the new tank I would like to use a small hob or ugf since its for acfs. I have never done this before. What exact media do I use out of the xp3 and what do I do with it? I am going to decide on and purchase a filter for the new tank in the next day or so.

TIA.

Cut a sponge to fit the new HOB from the pad in the xp and stuff it it in. You should have little or no cycle that way. Get an AC HOB filter. Their media chambers are very flexible for any type of media.

Why use a HOB? You know how sexy and great that Rena is, just get a XP2 and save yourself some trouble :)

If getting a HOB I'd recommend the AC50 filter. I have it on my 20gallon and its overkill, should be perfect for the 33. And as already said, cut a cruddy sponge from the xp3 and cram it in for 1 or 2 of the inserts of the HOB. You really shouldn't have ANY cycle if you use 2 inserts worth of seed material.

I'd recommend using a seed sponge from the xp3 on the bottom, biomedia such as the ceramic balls they supply in the middle, and then another seed sponge on the top. This is the setup I use and it works quite well. Water comes in at the bottom layer and works its way upwards through the filter. This is somewhat of a pain during cleaning since the lowest insert is always the dirtiest, but they are so quick to clean compared to a canister, on smaller tanks I prefer them.

Only thing you might want to change would be to use some filter floss instead of the 2nd sponge. I've never tried this but hear it filters the water slightly better (finer) than just with the sponges. I'd not use the carbon insert. Save it for a time where your water turns colors or stinks, or after using meds.

I just posted this in another thread: All you need to do to cycle a new tank is squeeze some gunk from your other filters into the new tank. Just rinse those filters cartridges/sponges out like you normally would, but do it in the new tank. That should be enough to seed the new tank. I use that method as does Tom Barr (Plantbrain) to 'instant' cycle new tanks. It has worked like a charm for me.

I had a 13 day cycle in my 125gal by using the AC20 from my 10gal . Just hung it on the side running and rang out the biofilter in the tank everyday. It seeded my Fluval 405 no problem . I also have an AC110 hung at the end of the tank now . I just checked tonite with 19 fish I have ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 and nitrate between 5-10.

Cram the HOB with as much colonized media as it will hold, or as much as the canister can spare. you might still see a few days of mildly elevated ammonia or nitrite. This method is reliable enough when starting with a low bioload that many would skip the fishless part.

Alternatively, buy the new HOB a few weeks in advance of set up, run it on the established tank for a few weeks, then move it over to the new tank when you add fish (or another ammonia source).

Back
Top Bottom