Just a few questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. My husband and I are setting up a 125 gallon with all of the necessary supporting tanks (hospital & quarantine etc) and I have just a few assorted questions.
1. If a tank was used briefly as a saltwater tank, is it true that it can never be safe to use as a freshwater tank again?
2. How do you keep a healthy cycled hospital tank if it is empty? Do you have to add ammonia daily? Would a few snails do the trick?
3. I was given a free 55 gallon tank, however, when it was delivered we noticed a crack in the plastic top brace...I'm attaching photos. What can be done to make the tank safe?

Thanks in advance for all the help I always get from everyone here! :)

1) I don't really know on the saltwater issue. I have heard the rumors, but it seems unlikely that salt wouldn't be able to be cleaned with water. I think it would also depend on what you plan to keep. I don't think guppies or mollies or any livebearer would have a problem, but salt sensitive fish like catfish might not be a great idea for the first fish.
2) a good way to keep a hospital tank ready to go is to have an extra sponge filter going in your main tank (or even sump if you use one) and them when you need to quarantine someone, just fill a tank with water from your main tank, and stick the extra filter in it. However if you are going to be medicating the quarantine tank, the meds will kill the bacteria in the filter, so I usually just put an air stone and heater in them and do daily water changes.
3) I have a 40 gallon and the brace is cracked, not on the middle like that, but still cracked all the way. It's fine. Didn't even notice until it had been set up for months. Since then I have re arranged, moved, started over completely. It's still full in my living room. I would just fill it on some really level ground that it would be okay if it failed on, give it about a day and see if you notice the sides bowing. I think you will be alright.

I'm not sure about the crack but to answer one and two..
1. I don't see why a thorough cleaning wouldn't be ok
2. Just keep an extra filter running on your larger tank to stick on the hospital tank whenever you need it, the hospital tank doesn't need to stay running until you need to use it. When a fish is sick you can just fill it and pop the filter on basically.

I have a used saltwater tank that I'm using for fw and I keep clown loaches. From what I read these guys are sensitive and need pristine water. No problems ever. I also keep my qt tank filters in my sump and when needed I put them into my qt filter and its cycled. (p.s. I qt for at least 4 weeks) the crack should pose no problem.

Awesome guys...thanks!! I have been wondering about the hospital/qt tank for some time...and that makes sense. :). The 55 gallon will be on level ground with concrete subfloor...so testing it shouldn't be too scary. I was planning to buy all new filters etc for the 30 gallon that used to be saltwater...so it would be just the glass tank I would be reusing...and we will wash it all out completely. I'm sure I will have more questions...lol...lots of decisions to be made!

Back
Top Bottom