Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a story....(long)

well me and my cousin are both into aquariums...and we are both into the same type of fish..so we have almost same stockings...I have a 10 gal. tank with 6 neons tetras and 2 otos and a betta , I also have a 45 gal. tank (well not really mine but I usally take care of it) and it only has a small opaline gourami,a pleco and 6 neon tetras...and he has 6 neons tetras and 2 otos and a opaline gourami in his 10 gal.!!!I told him that the gourami needed more space..and he said-''well not counting the otos (since they dont produce much waste)my bio-load is around 14 or 15''....ive trying to knock some sense into him but he doesnt listen.....is this as bad a s I think???

Old 08-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
In my opinion his present situation is not as bad as it may seem depending on the size of the fish and what type of filtration he employes. I would in a non condescending way explain the needs of his aquatic friends and ensure that he is aware that eventually some of them may need a bigger home.

Best

Joe

Old 08-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

well he has a HOB filter and does 2 weekly water changes of 30 %....
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well there's 2 issues at play here:

1. filtration requirements:

Without proper water changes and fully cycled biofilter such a small tank with such a large bioload (depending on size of fish) will buildup nitrAte levels pretty quickly. In this case though, if he is doing PWC's as frequently and as much as you say I'd say the fish are fine from a poisoning standpoint.

2. Tank SIZE requirements:

This has nothing to do with the amount of fish in the tank. You could have 10 large goldfish in a 10gallon and have a massive biofilter that would not make the tank dangerous to their health, but at the same time the fish are not in the proper size tank. Things like spinal injury, behavioral changes, disease are increased when in a tank smaller than should be used.

So if you feel his opaline is not being taken care of properly search the web and show him some fish affected by being kept in small tanks. The net is littered with these photos...
Old 08-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i get where your cousin is coming from with the otos making a smaller bioload

i have a 55 gal tank with 30 fish in it, it sounds like alot right? but then consider 9 of those fish are neon tetras, and 2 are cherry barbs. 29 fish in a 55 gal doesnt seem so much now...

i do however disagree about putting 10 large goldfish in a 10 gal, that any filter could keep up.

for awhile before i upgraded my goldfish tank, they lived in a 10 gal, and there were only 2 of them, not even a penguin 330 and 170 working together could keep up. now thats 400 gallons for water filtering every hour, and it was impossible to keep the tank clean
Old 08-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc8719
i do however disagree about putting 10 large goldfish in a 10 gal, that any filter could keep up.

for awhile before i upgraded my goldfish tank, they lived in a 10 gal, and there were only 2 of them, not even a penguin 330 and 170 working together could keep up. now thats 400 gallons for water filtering every hour, and it was impossible to keep the tank clean
I was using that as an example of a bad situation. While difficult, it most definately is doable, but that is besides the point. The point was, even seemingly safe from a toxin standpoint might be harmful to the fish if their eventual size is hampered by a small environment (tank).
Old 08-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the info

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com