Just acquired skunk cories!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The LFS had 3 skunk cories hiding under an ornament and i snatched them up at once! They are only an inch long and precious. They will go in a tank with Peppered cories and albinos.

What are your experience with skunkies? I hear they are more sensitive than the more common cories.

Yes!!!!pics;)

did u quarantine? if not......well, it doesn't matter unless something happens

good luck:)

i think they are a bit more sensitive, but not much more....so u should be good

but i would do at least 4-6 not a trio......there can be behavioral issues IME

TheFishBoss97 said:
Yes!!!!pics;)

did u quarantine? if not......well, it doesn't matter unless something happens

good luck:)

i think they are a bit more sensitive, but not much more....so u should be good

but i would do at least 4-6 not a trio......there can be behavioral issues IME

Yup in QT, pics coming later. Will stay in QT until at least November.
My understanding is that cories will school with other species of cory. They will go in a 50g with 3 albinos and 6 peppered cories. The trio of skunks were all that were available, so i grabbed all that i could! and they are my favorite, they are so striking.

How old is a 1.5" cory?

from that pic i realized my cories aren't pygmies they are skunkies...**** lfs. and me not looking at the research pics closely before buying them.

heres a pic. am i right?

2rg280p.jpg

BHead707 said:
from that pic i realized my cories aren't pygmies they are skunkies...**** lfs. and me not looking at the research pics closely before buying them.

heres a pic. am i right?

They look just like mine!
Pygmies have a horizontal stripe down their body, skunks have a skunk-like stripe that is more dorsal. Pygmies are really different; they don't have such flat bellies i think, because they swim in the water column rather than along the substrste.

That's too bad! Is it a problem for them to be skunk rather than pygmy?

Well I've got them in a ten gallon tank at the moment they are supposed to in a 20minimum right?

BHead707 said:
Well I've got them in a ten gallon tank at the moment they are supposed to in a 20minimum right?

Considering they get to 2", and assuming you have 3+ cories, then yeah a 10g is too small. Do you have another tank to put them in?
Try looking up a profile for pygmy cories to see what they are supposed to look an behave like.

I know for sure they aren't pygmies now. They are always at the bottom and never swim middle like pygmies are known to. I'm planning on upgrading soon but am strapped for space in my apt. But now it's looks like my gf is gonna have to let me upgrade. :)

Back
Top Bottom