Just getting started need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have not been reading all the post so i am a little behind, how lond has the filter been running, what is the current ph

Hey Duck!!

You should pull out the filter media and rinse it in the old water everytime you do a water change.

As far as carbon, I hit/miss at it - I have my original carbon in there, rinse it weekly - probably not doing a dang thing by now!:lol:

I keep saying I am gonna just put some floss in there, to take the carbons place, but the tank is clear, so I just blow it off....

Maybe that will help. I wouldn't buy another filter till you at least try it - it's cheaper!

edit: Sorry for the late post - life-stuff has kept me away....

Last edited:
Hey Duck!!

You should pull out the filter media and rinse it in the old water everytime you do a water change.

As far as carbon, I hit/miss at it - I have my original carbon in there, rinse it weekly - probably not doing a dang thing by now!:lol:

I keep saying I am gonna just put some floss in there, to take the carbons place, but the tank is clear, so I just blow it off....

Maybe that will help. I wouldn't buy another filter till you at least try it - it's cheaper!

edit: Sorry for the late post - life-stuff has kept me away....

I cleaned out the filters at my last water change. It cleared up a lot. Not perfect but looks really good to most people. Because I am working two jobs and barely have time to eat and go to sleep every night I don't like to do much work on the weekend. I have only been doing water changes every other weekend. I know that is bad but it's the best I can do right now. As far as my 40 gallon fish tank goes, I am getting ready to take it down. I am down to one fish in it and once I get rid of that fish I'm going to take down the tank and sell it. A 125 gallon tank is more than enough for me. I transferred all of my fish to the big tank except my aggressive one. He has to go!

I dont do water changes on my bigger tanks every week sometimes especially if im sick or had a long week at work.. as long as the water parameters are good i would to much worry .. its not like you are waiting a month or longer..

Back
Top Bottom