Just getting started need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as the filter stopping. Sand is getting caught in the magnet so the impeller won't turn. All I have to do is lift up on the pipe and put it back down and it usually starts right back up. I am NOT always around to do this though. I do not have this problem with the AquaClear filter. It hasn't stopped once!

OH! I forgot to mention, yes I have changed the filter cartridges. I bought a 6 pack of replacements. When I bought the filter.

I don't see any more spots on my fish but I'm going to keep my temp up and continue treating it for a few days.

Ich is definitely gone now. I'm going to get sand and decorations then fill my 125 gallon with water. I'm going to do a fishless cycle on this tank.

OKAY! I bought sand, a cool piece of driftwood, 2 200 watt heaters and 4 fish for my small tank. I only spent $200 lol. All of my hobbies are extremely expensive!

Ouch! :lol:

I bet you paid more for the driftwood than anything!!

(Hint: check Craig's list - if you have it in your area - I bought about $200 worth of driftwood for $20. The guy collects it while he is out fishing...lol)

I know I will probably stir up alot of controversy on this post...but here goes!

I use ATM Colony Nitrifying Bacteria (available at PetCo) to cycle my tanks - or supplement when I do massive water changes.

Typically, when I start a tank, I set it up as normal - then add ATM Colony as recommended. Daily, I add a small amount of ground up flakes. At the end of one week, I check the water...if 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a small amount of nitrate - I add my fish. From there out, I check daily for a couple of weeks and do pwc as needed. Though to be honest, I have only had to do my regular pwc's.

Good luck!

:fish2:

I paid $30 for the driftwood and its a decent sized piece bolted to a piece of flat rock. I paid $50 for the 100# of sand. I also paid $80 for the heaters. I bought some expensive fish too. Well, $6 each expensive. Most of the fish I buy are under $3.

Adds up quick doesn't it! :lol:

Good buy on the driftwood. The LFS here sells large pieces - with no guarantee of not floating and no pre-boiling for $60 and up....

Which is why I went to Craig's list, if I have to boil it and possibly mount it on slate, I might as well buy it cheap! :lol:

Sounds like you are getting it together for the big tank! I am sooo looking forward to pics when you get done! And I am so excited that that big old Pleco can get out of that little tank.

Have you decided on what else you are putting in the 125 gal??

I am going to move my 6 Grommies* over to that tank and the pleco but that is my only plan so far. I would like to have 10 to 15 neon tetra but otherwise I'm going just keep non aggressive fish in the big tank.

Yeah they are semi-aggressive but they don't act that way. I have
2 dwarf flame gouramis
2 dwarf gouramis
2 honey gouramis
They all act like non-aggressive fish. I know they are not but they act like it. They are the only aggressive fish I intend to keep in my big tank.

Typically, honey gouramis and dwarf gouramis don't get along. /shrug

But, since they are already in a tank and getting along...

You can do a massive schooling of 20+ neon tetras and still only have to do 25% water change per week.

I am jealous - I want a massive schooling of fish, swarming in and out - all together.... :fish2:

:lol:

I love neon Tetra! I just don't have the greatest track record with keeping them alive. My Gouramis get along great! Maybe mine are just awesome! I am watching a Honey Gourami hang out with 3 Dwarf Gouramis right now.

I love neon Tetra! I just don't have the greatest track record with keeping them alive. My Gouramis get along great! Maybe mine are just awesome! I am watching a Honey Gourami hang out with 3 Dwarf Gouramis right now.

Not trying to be mean, or whatever....

Did you ever think that the reason you cannot keep neons alive is because of your gouramis?

:flowers:

Maybe there is a better "schooling" fish that could get along with them? I honestly don't know. I haven't had gouramis in over 20 years...lol

Back
Top Bottom