just got a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bergy42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all. I just got a 5 gallon tank. I've had it running for a day. I put the filter in, as well as a heater and water conditioner. I was wondering what kind of fish I can get, when I can get them, and if there is anything else I need to do. Thanks!

Welcome to AA!

The first thing you need to do is read up on cycling a tank, and understand the nitrogen cycle. Here is a good article to get you started:
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Fishless cycling is the fastest and safest way to establish a tank. the tank won't be ready for fish for some time.

There are not a whole lot of fish that are suitable for a 5 gal tank. A betta would be a really good choice. There are some smaller fish out there, but there are a lot of differing opinions on what is and what is not appropriate to put in a tank that small. Another really good aquatic pet to put in a 5 gal is freshwater shrimp. They can be very colorful and are suitable for a tank that small.

Anyway... read up on cycling. You have some work yet before the tank is ready for fish.

Oh, and do you have a test kit? That should be your first purchase if not... long before you get any fish. The API freshwater master test kit is widely available and a good option. It will have everything you need to test bundled together. Avoid the dip strip tests... they are inaccurate and unreliable.

Good luck, and ask away!

fort384 said:
Welcome to AA!

The first thing you need to do is read up on cycling a tank, and understand the nitrogen cycle.

Fishless cycling is the fastest and safest way to establish a tank.

There are not a whole lot of fish that are suitable for a 5 gal tank. A betta would be a really good choice.

Another really good aquatic pet to put in a 5 gal is freshwater shrimp.

Anyway... read up on cycling. You have some work yet before the tank is ready for fish.

Oh, and do you have a test kit? That should be your first purchase if not... long before you get any fish. The API freshwater master test kit is widely available and a good option. It will have everything you need to test bundled together. Avoid the dip strip tests... they are inaccurate and unreliable.

Fort384 has given you some very good advice. There isn't really that much to add. I just wanted to offer some more suggestions for what you could keep in your new tank.

As fort384 has said, 5 gallons is a very limiting volume. But that doesn't mean it can't be a really attractive tank.

First thing I would like to suggest is that you go get some small pieces of driftwood and enough java moss to cover most of it. Java moss is great for beginners because it gives you a natural looking planted tank without a lot of effort. The lighting you already have for your tank should be plenty to keep it health and there shouldn't be a need to add nutrients.

Oh, and you can go ahead and do all this while doing your fishless cycle. It will keep you busy while your waiting for the cycle to complete.

When you get your driftwood and moss your going to want to figure out how you want your driftwood to be placed on the tank. Try a bunch of different arrangements until you find the one you like best. Once you have that figured out look at the arrangement and think about where you want the moss to grow on the driftwood. Now just take each piece one by one and tie the java moss to them using fishing line. Don't worry, the fishing line will eventually be grown over by the moss. If you would like some inspiration do a google image search for takashi amano.

Now if this isn't the type of tank you want, don't worry about it. Set it up the way you like because your the one who's going to be looking at it. This is just what I personally like for an easy nano setup.

Ok now on to stocking.(I hope this isn't getting too long...) which should only be added after you have finished cycling.

As fort384 said, shrimp are a great option for this size tank. Also, shrimp will really I would suggest red cherry shrimp. They are easy to care for and colorful. The only problem with them is that they will breed until they take over the entire tank. But they are still probably your best bet for a starter shrimp.

If you are set on having a fish setup I would recommend you look at killifish, specifically the annuals. they can be extremely colorful and many species will do just fine in a 5g tank. Although it is worth mentioning that They are called annuals because they only live for about a year. They are also not very common at LFS. Still they are very interesting fish.

Ok, I'll stop now. Hope this has given you some ideas.

Have fun!

Thank you so much the driftwood idea was great! I also like your ideas about what to put in it. Thanks again!

Agreed with all of the above. I failed to mention small tanks are my favorite. You can check out the photos and logs linked in my signature for some ideas as well. I have 2 5 gal tanks setup currently.

Nanos really are great. I haven't played around with them as much as I would have liked. But some of my favorites that I've setup have been nanos. I currently have a 1g I'm planning.

Also, once you get more comfortable with them you can start experimenting with other plants than just moss.

**Edit:
Hey fort384, I just took a look through some of your tanks and they are very nice. You seem to really know what your doing.
Kudos

Check out endlers and microrasboras as well. Like mentioned, stocking opinions for small tanks are pretty scattered, but these are common suggestions.:)

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Check out endlers and microrasboras as well. Like mentioned, stocking opinions for small tanks are pretty scattered, but these are common suggestions.:)

I cycled my very first tank with endler's back before I knew about fishless cycling. They were real nice fish. I didn't want to get rid of them but they wouldn't have lasted long with my mbuna. They would be a nice addition to a nano, and would be a little less work than the killies. Although they do pose a similar problem as the shrimp, where they will continue to breed until they fill the tank. Still a very nice fish though, you just need to be able to manage the fry.

I never kept the microrasboras. So I can't comment on them.

Back
Top Bottom