Just got my 45 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as the title states I got my new tank. I could not find any pure ammonia so I'm going the food cycle method. Today is day one so the tests are 0 across the board. PH is 7.2. Haven't gotten my gh and kh test yet. I'm using a fluval 205 and a aquaclear 70 for filtration. I also have a 200 watt heater. What else do I need and any tips for the food fishless cycle. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Piece of raw shrimp?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just from superstore? Do I out it into a nylon? And how long until I switch the prawn out

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404450946.933736.jpg

This is what she looks like ATM

I think any raw shrimp will cause will cause ammonia as it sits there. Putting it in something would make it easy clean later

Did my test today

.25ppm ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

Ph wasn't tested as I have a new piece of driftwood ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404528148.226551.jpg

So far so good, is the driftwood a nice piece in your opinions? I found it on my morning walk.

Just bought some ammonia and now confused as what I should do... Can someone guide me?

Cool find. Make sure you boil the wood to prevent bringing stuff into the tank

I'm having trouble sinking it... I'm thinking of zap strapping some zip lock lids and burying then into the sand to it to hold it down. Will that work?

Fishing line to rocks under gravel. Boiling the wood will also help water log it and help sinking. Also soak it outside tank to help w tanin

I don't mind the tannins, will they affect water quality

Tannins should not affect water quality.
Make sure the ammonia is suitable (no dyes, surfactants, perfumes, or other chemicals). There is a chart somewhere in this forum (or you may have to google it) that describes how much ammonia to add to achieve a certain amount of ppm of ammonia for a given tank size. Some say the target is 4 ppm, others 2 ppm. Get the ammonia to whichever target ppm and continue monitoring it daily. I don't think you need to add more ammonia until you see it start to drop. I could be wrong...consult the stickies regarding fishless cycling for specific details. Oh yeah, remove the shrimp. With no media from other tanks it may take several weeks before you see the ammonia drop and nitrites appear. With media from an established tank you can cut the total time down to a week or so.
Regarding the driftwood, if you have a small piece of slate, a drill and stainless steel screws, you could affix the DW to the slate (which can get buried into the substrate).

Ok I have media from another tank but I am going on a vacation for 2 weeks. If I start to cycle it today and I'm leaving 3 days from now should I just wait until I return. If I leave the bacteria without ammonia and nitrite they will just die off correct?

In that case I would use the shrimp and some established media. The shrimp should provide a supply of ammonia while you are gone. That should sustain the BB in the established media until you return.

Great idea! Tomorrow I'm going to my local stream in search of some nice hard scape pieces. I guess I should let you in on my stocking plan. I know it's overstocked but I think it will work out.

11 black phantom tetras
11 rummy nose tetras
11-13 julii corydoras
Pair of GRB
Pair of appisto cacatuotides

Equipment
200 watt submersible heater
Fluval 206 (tray 1:sponge, water polisher. Tray 2-3:bio rings)
Aquaclear 70 (sponge and large bag of bio media)
Bubbler

Back
Top Bottom