Just got my first aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DAY 3

I woke up and noticed that my tank is a little bit cloudy. I read that this is most likely due to a bacterial bloom, the kind that converts ammonia into nitrite. I hope this is the case. I'll have some pictures ready later today, and also will test to see if ammonia levels have gone down at all.

DAY 3

I woke up and noticed that my tank is a little bit cloudy. I read that this is most likely due to a bacterial bloom, the kind that converts ammonia into nitrite. I hope this is the case. I'll have some pictures ready later today, and also will test to see if ammonia levels have gone down at all.

I don't know if that is what causes it or not but my tanks have gone through the same thing. And then one morning they are crystal clear.

Ammonia levels still look about the same. I need a second opinion on the shade of my test. Here's a picture.

img_1444347_0_1daa88075c32ab9182dfa132c770aa1e.jpg

This is the slightly cloudy water I was talking about.

img_1444347_1_131c81a4adf9848ebc04d67f82a79d47.jpg

img_1444347_2_cee17db8c89709c8c9dbdbd5deec2f12.jpg

Also I've lost about an inch of water due to evaporation. Should I bother refilling it? If not when should I, and if I do I would need a tiny amount of dechlorinator for the new water right? Are tanks sensitive to too much of this chemical?

You realize that with that test kit you are supposed to shake or invert it alot right? Be sure you are reading directions carefully.

Deckape said:
Too big of a gamble for me.

+1. Lake and pond water has snails and tiny things that can be good and bad. You never know. In science class we looked at lake water with a microscope and it was fascinating. :)

You could top up the water, it depends on how low it is. If it's too low for your filter or heater to work properly you definitely want to keep it high enough for them to work. And yes add dechlorinator to the new water. You can either add it directly to the new water you are putting in or just put a lot into the tank itself and then add the water. It's hard to measure for small amounts of water so you'd rather add too much than too little. And no you can use a lot of dechlorinator without issues. If you use too little, the chemicals in your tap water could potentially kill off any bacteria you are trying to grow in there.

Back
Top Bottom