Just got my first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody, I've been stalking the forum for a few days now, and I decided I would get in on the discussion. I just got home with my 10 gallon marineland tank. It came with a filter and heater. I also managed to track down some ammonia that doesn't bubble when shaken (it's the harris teeter brand). I also am going to get that master test kit tomorrow. So basically I am just wondering what else I need. I know I need dechlorinator, and I also heard that seachem prime is the best kind. Is there another good kind in case I can't find prime? Also do I need one of those air rock things? How much gravel do i need? Is there anything else I need to know? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I have everything I need when I start my fishless cycle.

Thanks in advance, Ben

:welcome: to AA! Glad to see another person named Ben on here. :D

You don't need those air rock things IMO if you have a lot of surface disturbance. Prime is really the best, but Kordon products work as well. You could have no gravel at all if you want a bare bottom tank or you could have a lot of it plus plant specific substrate under it if you wanted plants. Good to here you're taking what I call RFI! (responsible fishkeepign initiative :))

thanks for the warm welcome! I have a bio-wheel filter, will it create enough water disturbance? Also, I plan on getting a betta when the tank is cycled. I was going to get some fake plants for decorations (idk if im ready for live plants). Is there any risk of fake plants or any of those rock decorations hurting the betta's fins?

That should create enough water disturbance. Live plants are easy to keep, even if you don't have that good of a light, ex. if you want to go low tech just by keeping the tank near a window where sunlight can enter or just a plain old bulb you could try java moss and java fern, super easy to grow. No I don't think it'll hurt the bettas fins.

thanks for the help. I feel like I am asking dumb questions, and I think I have another one. Is it ok to put my bare hand in the tank water to move things around? I read that things like soap can contaminate the water. Should I get some kind of gloves?

Ben - you should have no problem locating Seachem Prime. I picked up my first bottle at our local PetSmart....

Yes as long as you haven't recently washed your hands with soap or have been cleaning with chemicals, you should be fine, you don't need any kinds of gloves.

kjwcpm- thats good to hear because all I have around me is a petsmart haha

bruinsbro- sounds good thanks for answering all my newbie questions. I guarantee you there will be more :lol:

[QUOTE="ben27"

bruinsbro- sounds good thanks for answering all my newbie questions. I guarantee you there will be more :lol:[/QUOTE]

I have the same questions, I'm just as new. Your asking them saves me the effort! ;)

ben27 said:
thanks for the help. I feel like I am asking dumb questions, and I think I have another one. Is it ok to put my bare hand in the tank water to move things around? I read that things like soap can contaminate the water. Should I get some kind of gloves?

Personally I wash my hands every time before they go in the tank. I just make sure to rinse them ridiculously well so there's no traces of soap. IMO it's less risky to clean them first than to risk forgetting you had just been using a cleaning product a half hour before.

Use silk plants for your betta! The hard plastic can tear fins. And have you thought about doing sand instead of gravel? You can buy pool filter sand at home depot for $5 and i prefer it over gravel

Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't feel I should start a new one.
Anyway, I got my first 30 gallon the other day.

1) Vinegar to clean the tank, is this referring to the vinegar that is used in foods or a different kind?

2) Any person in Cali. Know where I can get pure ammonia?

3) ...thats all. Thanks again for the help.

FishDroid26 said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't feel I should start a new one.
Anyway, I got my first 30 gallon the other day.

1) Vinegar to clean the tank, is this referring to the vinegar that is used in foods or a different kind?

2) Any person in Cali. Know where I can get pure ammonia?

3) ...thats all. Thanks again for the help.

A mild bleach solution can be used as well (I believe the ratio is 20:1). Just rinse well and use a strong dose of dechlorinator when the tank is set up initially. Do you have an Ace Hardware nearby? That's a great spot to pick up ammonia (which you can also use for cleaning the tank). Hardware stores are generally your best bet to find the pure stuff. Just make sure it is free of surfactants, perfumes, dyes, detergents, etc...

Back
Top Bottom