Just got my sponge filter, need help setting it up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trickerie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok guys. I just got my active sponge filter in the mail, and want to set it up. What would be my best course of action? Setting it up with the air pump bubbler thing, or using it in my hang on back filter? This is my first tank, and I was pointed toward the active filter by a member after my cycle crashed.

If I used it in my hang on back filter, would I remove all of the current pads in there, and stuff as much of the sponge in there that I could?

Finally, if I did use the air pump method, would I need the hang on back filter anymore?

Confused!

I would cut it up and stuff it into ur hob, leaving ur other filter in so the bb can attach to it as well.

Thats probably what I will do. Its just an 8ish gallon tank(not sure about the exact size, it was given to me used) so there isn't much room in the filter since its pretty small. Should I take one side out, and leave one side in? Theres 4 media inserts.

Trickerie said:
Thats probably what I will do. Its just an 8ish gallon tank(not sure about the exact size, it was given to me used) so there isn't much room in the filter since its pretty small. Should I take one side out, and leave one side in? Theres 4 media inserts.

Id use at least 2. Grow as much as u can. Have saw others put the rest in a mesh bag and hang it in the tank so that the filter water falls down on it.

Id use at least 2. Grow as much as u can. Have saw others put the rest in a mesh bag and hang it in the tank so that the filter water falls down on it.

Ok heres what I did. My filter has 4 inserts, 2 black, 2 green. I took the green out because they are just bio sponges, same as the active one I just got. I cut up the block and shoved the sponge on each side where the green was. Then, I took the rest of the block and hung it by the magnet that came with it right under the uptake of the filter, but not right against it

Trickerie said:
Ok heres what I did. My filter has 4 inserts, 2 black, 2 green. I took the green out because they are just bio sponges, same as the active one I just got. I cut up the block and shoved the sponge on each side where the green was. Then, I took the rest of the block and hung it by the magnet that came with it right under the uptake of the filter, but not right against it

Ok sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom