Just setup my new 10 gallon with some fish, what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I was young, my parents always had a 55 gallon tank that I would stare at for hours. I finally decided to get my own tank after getting some extra money and taking a few trips to the pet stores. I bought most of the stuff at Wal Mart since it was so much cheaper than any pet store in the area. I got as much advice as I could locally before starting anything, I had to get a 10 gallon tank because I live in a small apartment. Here is what I have:

-10 gallon glass tank
-flourescent bulb hood
-AQUA-Tech 5-15 filter
-50 watt heater set to 78F
-1200cc/minute air pump blowing through a 14 inch air stone
-11 pounds of standard aquarium colored rocks, mostly black and purple
-two small and five medium plastic plants
-some small and colorful plastic stones sitting around the bottom of the tank

I rinsed everything out with water, put it all together, filled the tank with tap water, made sure the temperature was stable, added some water conditioner, then waited. I have a valve on the air hose and it is blowing VERY slowly to keep everything in the tank calm otherwise the 14 inch air stone puts out way too many bubles for its own good. Anyway, after waiting a day, I went out and picked up some fish:

-two small dwarf gouramis
-two peppered catfish
-four head and tail light tetras

The guy at the fish store said all of these fish are calm and should be OK in a 10 gallon tank. I only wanted four or five fish to start but it was reccomended that I get the tetras to have some movement. All of the fish were 2 for 1 as well, hence the paired fish. When I got home, I floated the bags in the water for a while and let the fish loose. All of the fish look heathly, the gouramis poke around the bottom behind plants, the catfish go all over the bottom, and the four tetra school around near the top of the tank. No fish have been agressive to the other fish in the time I have been looking at the tank.

Everything appears to be going well, so I want to know where I should go from here. I was thinking about adding some larger plants that would float up to the top of the tank. I am open to any advice on fish I can add to the tank in a couple weeks or anything I could do the help out the fish I already have. What should I do for the best fish owning experience?

Also, do I have to worry about my filter sucking up my fish, and if so, how can I prevent that?

You have added a lot of fish for a new tank of that size. You need to get a water test kit if you haven't already and be prepared to do a lot of water changes. An even better idea would be do try out the Marieland product Bio-Spira and add that to your tank. There is some discussion of the product in other threads and there is a product review that would be worth reading (link at bottom of page). This product is supposed to contain all of the beneficial bacteria required to get your tank up and running smootly (cycled) overnight.

As for the filter sucking up the fish, I have tiny molly fry in my tank and they don't get sucked up, so I don't think your fish will have any problems avoiding the current of your filter.

That's a lot of fish for a brand new 10 gallon tank. Unfortunately for us impatient people, the thing you have to do now is just WAIT. Ammonia levels will build up quickly with all those fish and you need to give the tank time for the biological filter to build up. Read this article to understand the nitrogen cycle:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

You need to allow at LEAST 3-4 weeks before adding any more fish. As far as the filter goes, if you wrap a light layer of filter foam around the intake with rubber bands, your fish should be safe. I would only worry about this though if you're seeing fish fighting the filter intake current. Good luck!

Ryan

First up, sorry for posting this in the "Planted Tanks" section and now the "Getting Started" section. If a mod or someone else can move this, go for it.

"You have added a lot of fish for a new tank of that size."

Doh, that is the last time I listen to the "pet counselor" at the pet store. NOTHING was even mentioned to me about testing the water or dealing with a nitrogen cycle and I made it very clear that I had a brand new tank. I knew I should have stopped at the gouramis and catfish. Or just the gouramis. Luckily, I have a good ammount of free time to get the tank going properly. I read up on the nitrogen cycle a bit so I have a good idea of what I have to do but I am not totally certain. Basically I just keep testing the water and doing partial water changes as needed? If I am unable to find any Bio-Spira, what other products are good to help me through this process?

I was not trying to make it sound like I was in a big hurry to get more fish, I am a patient person so waiting a few weeks to cycle the tank is no big deal. I am more concerned that I help out the fish I already have fish and keep them healthy.

I've tried other products but have had no success with them. I won't recommend any of them. I am only recommending Bio-Spira because that is the only product that I have heard of that actually works. It is expensive though. If you go to marineland.com there is a store locator for you to use. Plus there is an online store in a thread somehwere around here. Can't seem to find it right now.

If you don't mind being patient, then SMALL, FREQUENT water changes are the key. It will take a few weeks. Read the linked article above and it'll give you some insight as to what's happening.

Still, I recommend trying Bio-Spira...and wait to add more fish. :D

Thats for pointing out the store locator, I found a place with Marineland products about 15 miles from where I work. I called them up and they are closed on Monday so I need to wait until tomorrow.

I am dissapointed that non of the pet stores I have been to ever mentioned cycling the tank. It would have been extremely frustrating to have all my fish die, especially after my wife named them all 8O Luckily I came here with plenty of time to save the tank :)

When I add fresh tap water, do I add water treatment to the tap water I add, or add the water treatment to the water in the tank and then pour in the tap water?

When I add fresh tap water, do I add water treatment to the tap water I add, or add the water treatment to the water in the tank and then pour in the tap water?
I don't know that there is a hard and fast rule on that. When I change my water, I add a little bit of conditioner (I use "Prime") as the water is added. If I'm changing 30 gallons, I add 1/3 of the dose in the beginning, 1/3 after 10 gallons is in, and 1/3 after about 20 gallons are in. I have a python and just put the conditioner into the water stream to mix it well.
Others may have different methods.

i bought an ammonia test kit along with a ph test kit. my ph was 7.6+ so i put in some ph down to get it closer to 7. after one day, my ammonia level was not registering anything on the chart. i am going to test it daily and do one gallon water changes as needed. hopefully i can get the bio-spira tomorrow as well.

one of my tetras is mean. it chases the other tetras around and while i was changing a plant, the tetra was biting my arm :eek:

Do keep a constant eye out for the levels changing, as it is a new tank.

I did the same thing when I bought my 10 gallon. Way too many fish. Most of which ended up dying.

But Gouramis are pretty hardy, and my tetras outstand anything!

Try and keep a journal to monitor your testing. I have one for my tank, and not only is it fun, I can see if the levels have risen or dropped.I also keep track of the temperature, when I feed, when I do water changes and any other significances. :)

but of course that may only be me being Obsessive Compulsive. :lol:

Good luck with your aquarium and welcome to Aquarium Advice!!!

I prefer adding the water conditioner to the new water only, since that's where the chlorine/chloramine is. After that, I swish the water around and leave it there for a few before I add it to the tank.

It also wouldn't hurt to test your tap water so you know what you're putting into your tank. For instance, if your tank's pH is 7.6 and your tap water is 7, then a 50% water change will bring the pH to around 7.3 and a 25% water change will bring it to ~7.4. That way you won't have to add chemicals to alter your pH. The chemicals can alter your pH too drastically, too quickly and your fish will not like that.

Good luck! and Have fun!

If you're not using a python, I recommend "aging" some water before you have to do partial water changes. I use empty water jugs, fill them up with tap water, add a few drops of water conditioner, cap 'em and let them sit for a week or so. Gaurantees room temperature water too.

Ryan

i have been testing the amonia daily and have done three water changes so far (about 15% of the water each time). so far, the amonia has gotten up to the 2nd of the 7 stages showing on my test kit, which is .25-.5ppm if i recall correctly. i will be doing another water change tonight since the amonia seems to be holding steady at the 2nd level on the test kit. luckily, all of my fish are doing good so far.

i tried some ph down and it seemed to have no effect after 24 hours and the level was still up around 7.5 or 7.6. i will try testing my tap water tonight, if my tap water has really high ph, i will use some bottled water to lower it down.

i will start aging the water too, that is a good idea.

my attempts to find bio-spira failed. every fish shop even remotely close to my house does not carry it.

Back
Top Bottom