Just some questions about stocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
The stocking plans for my new 50gal goes like so:
8 Corry Cats Juli or Pandas
2 African Buterfly Fish (1 male and 1 female)
1 Blue Dwarf Gourami
3 German Blue Rams ( 1 male and 2 females)
3 Zebra Danios
3 Yoyo Loaches
The tank is going to be thickly planted, and I plan to build a lot of caves.

My questions are:
1. I wanted to get 3 Skunk loaches for my 55gal to get rid of my snail problem. I was wondering that if I can't purchase them large enough or if after awhile my bichirs try to eat them if with my current stocking list I could put them in the 50gal?

2. Is my current stocking plan even a good idea? Is that too many fish?

3. If there is room for any more fish?

5. what do you suggest?

TIA

Yoyo loaches also eat snails and actually get a little larger than skunk loaches.
The thing I'd be worried about with that stocking is the african butterfly fishes eating the other fish, especially the danios. The danios would prefer a larger school too.

With birchirs, I don't know if I'd recommend too many bottom dwellers, as they might become dinner for them. But skunk loaches are pretty fast fish, and don't lay around very much. At least mine dont. So it may be a challenge for the birchirs. But in the end, they may end up getting eaten. The skunks would go great with the 50G setup you have. If you get them, then go with 3, like the yoyo's. Just remember, they are a little more aggressive than the yoyo's, and may chase others on occasion, but generally doesn't hurt anything.

You probably already know this, but I'd like to point it out just in case. With that stocking plan it seems to me like you'd have an awful lot of activity going on in the bottom 1/4 of your tank. The loaches, rams, and of course the cories will spend most of their time down there. I'm not sure if the rams would be stressed by having those crazy loaches zipping around them all the time LOL. Just something to think about I guess. I also agree with RoK about adding more danios.

I also agree with RoK about adding more danios.
Well I already have the 3 danios in my 20gal, they were once upon a time 5, but when I had them in qt 2 of them died. I don't really want to get anymore because I knew my butterfly fish would just try to eat them. Seeing as i am making my 20gal a paludarium or however you spell it, I might keep my danios in the 20gal and get 2 or 3 more. I am only going to have about 10gals of water at the most in it. Would it still be ok for them?

With that stocking plan it seems to me like you'd have an awful lot of activity going on in the bottom 1/4 of your tank.
What would be a good way to fix that? What would be a good community fish to help occupy the other half of my tank, that of course isnt too small for my ABF to snatch them up?

LoneWolfBlue-
I may not get the skunk loaches anymore. After thinking about it more and realisng that my bichirs on occasion try to eat eachother, I'd rather not put any other fish at risk lol. I think when i move my 55gal I am going to get rid of the live plants except maybe the java ferns. I am also changing my substrate to PFS and set the tank up more like a cichlid tank. With just rock caves. So hopefully this will get rid of the majority of the snails.

Back
Top Bottom