Just started a 20g freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd start a 50% a day until you get a liquid test kit (API is recommended) to see what your levels are. What size tank and what fish do you have? That will determine how many PWC as well as the kit results.

It's a 20 gallon tank and I have a dalmation mollie a black Molly a micky mouse platy and a tuxedo

Kemmett19 said:
It's a 20 gallon tank and I have a dalmation mollie a black Molly a micky mouse platy and a tuxedo

Ok, I would definately be changing 50% daily. Three out of the four fish you have are high waste producers (mollies and platy).

How long will it take until my tank normalized and I can stop with the frequant water changes and be a little more self sufficiant

Also how long will it generaly take for my fish to reach max size

Kemmett19 said:
How long will it take until my tank normalized and I can stop with the frequant water changes and be a little more self sufficiant

Cycling takes 4-8 weeks but sometimes longer. The only way to tell how it is progressing is to test the water frequently and compare the results.

This is why a test kit is necessary. You will be able to monitor your tanks parameters & figure out when & how much your water changes should be & it will also tell you when your tank is fully cycled & stable. A cycled tank will have zero ammonia & nitrites & detectable nitrates which need to be kept ideally under 20ppm with weekly water changes.

And how about how long will it take for my fish to reach max size on average? Also some what related with the fish I listed that I have above could I be able to out a semi agressive in with them in time. I wanted to get an angel fish and iv seen them in tanks with comunity fish with no problems but iv also heard not to

Im sure someone will answer you shortly. I cant advise because i do not keep tropicals but i believe angels need a much larger tank than 20g because they grow quite large.

Kemmett19 said:
And how about how long will it take for my fish to reach max size on average? Also some what related with the fish I listed that I have above could I be able to out a semi agressive in with them in time. I wanted to get an angel fish and iv seen them in tanks with comunity fish with no problems but iv also heard not to

I have no experience with mollies or platys personally so I can't say. Just a guess at 6-12 months of age.
Angels can go with mollies and platys but not guppies. They can swallow a guppy whole. A 20g tank isn't large enough to accommodate an angel. They can reach almost 12 inches top to bottom.

Back
Top Bottom