Just Started A new Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I conned....uh...convinced my boss somehow to spring for an aquarium. We got a 55 gal tank...And plan to house cichlids...

Inventory:

55gal AGA
Ehiem Canister Filter
2 Ebo Jager 100W heaters
Test kits, Salt Mix, Buffer, Live bacteria, Stress Coat
55 lbs of argonite crushed coral

We cleaned the tank, rinsed the coral, filled it, added the stress coat, buffer, salt and bacteria. Started the filter and installed the heaters and hood.

Tips please....

Excellent........

I suppose the first question would be this.

What type of chiclids do you think they will keep? Many of the different types of cichlids have differnt unique water quality levels.

I bet if every work place that can have a tank in it should It would cause alot less stress in the work enviroment.

:peace:

Chris.

I bet if every work place that can have a tank in it should It would cause alot less stress in the work enviroment.

Unless, like where I work, they put an Oscar and some other large chiclid in a ten gallon tank, then expect them to live and be happy.

I refuse to even look at that tank, every time they ask me questions as to why the fish aren't happy, I tell them the fish live in a sewer/prison.

My wife had to go to the hospital a few times for observation and the nurse station in the ward she was staying in had a 20 gal tank. Poor fish....

The irony that the nurses who keep watch over sick people could not keep a fish alive in their tank for more than a few weeks.

My wife set them stright on a few standard fish keeping guidelines.

Of course having a business that goes around to work places and sets them up on a maintance cotract for their tanks is a great way of making money on a wonderful hobby.

Okay People... LOL... can we focus here? LOL ... Anway... I know very little about cichlids...the little I do know is that I want to have species that are partial to rock and sand/crushed coral...

I do like the bright yellow and blue species...

Sorry bout getting off topic, PF.

Sounds like you'd want africans (rift lake chiclids) that's where most of the yellow and blue ones come from (I think), and they would like your sand/coral mix, they like high ph and hard water. They will need lots of rocks/caves, as they will usually chase and/or attack each other a lot. I haven't kept africans for years because of the aggresion factor. I don't have any reccomended species for you, do some research on your own and find out which ones you might like best, will fit your tank size, and will get along as best as possible.

Here's a site that will give you all kinds of info on Af Cichlids.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php
There are some species that you won't want to mix due to their different temperments. I would recommend Peacocks though. They are beautiful fish although the juveniles are kinda drab. At any rate, I think you'll want to stick with the Malawi or maybe Victorian species. The Tanganyikans, at least most of them, get pretty large and like a higher pH than the others. Malawis and Vics are happy at about 8.2.
Logan J

Here's a pic to myself with the tank... I'll have pics of my 90 gallon soon as I get someone to help me get it home ;)

When I had african chiclids, I had to cover most of my tank with rocks to provide hiding places. These guys are mostly agressive and territorial fishes. I end up crowding my tank and noticed they didn't get too agressive and territorial. Maybe you would like to add more rocks. I find that some of them liked to hide in the empty snail shells and beach shells.

What I find intrested for the smaller species is they will take to the barnacles, sold for saltwater tank decoration.

What's the ideal PH for african cichlids?
I've used buffer every day and it maintains 8.0/8.1 as far as I can tell from the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit...

Is that good enough?

For Malawis and Vics, 8.1-8.3 is great. The Tanganyikans prefer a pH of around 9.0. Barney is correct (as usual :) ) about using the rocks as hiding places. You'll want to use the same kind of rock that you would put in a SW tank. The rock that is sold as dry base rock labeled "Honeycomb rock" looks great and will help buffer the pH and alk. Slightly overcrowding a Af cichlid tank will reduce the aggression by spreading it out among all the inhabitants. You'll want to be sure not to mix the very aggressive species with the timid ones though.
Logan J

Okay... HELP... I just put four fish in... and they are breathing heavy...any ideas?

1 Dandelion - 2.5"
1 Blue Peacock - 3"
1 Yellow Tail - 3"
1 Orange Redfin Cabbis? 3"

Back
Top Bottom