Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fastfly48 Send a message via MSN to fastfly48 Send a message via Yahoo to fastfly48
Just started out...

Hello hello. Wow, it's nice to FINALLY be able to post in here!
Took me AGES to register. Anyways...

Needless to say I'm new. I just got a new aquarium for my 18th bday.
The tank is about 75L. 77cm long, 30cm wide and about 35cm high.
It's a freshwater tropical setup, and hopefully I can make it into a succesful community tank.

I spent a heap of time researching and planning, so that everything would work...and that no fish would die...alas...

I have an Auqa Clear filter a RESUN CB8300 aquarium heater a HDD 600 twin tube light and termometre installed in the tank. I'm using Aquasonic Complete premium Tropical fish food and added some Aqua One water conditioner to the water. I have a few moss rocks in the tank (cleaned well of coarse), some Java fern from a mates tank and some boring long green flat plant (forgot the name!)...oh and gravel of coarse.

Well, I put 5 danios in to start with...hopeing that they would survive the infamouse cycling period. But they didn't. I got 3 more and thet are doing fine. So I'm not sure why the earlyer ones died. Any ideas?

Well that's my basic story. At the moment I'm just sitting tight. Waiting for the tank to balance or cycle or whatever.

So does anyone have any suggestions? How long is this cycle going to take? Hope you can help a newbe in need! You all seem very knowing!

Ry.
ps. I'm NOT American, I put that in because I thought that's why it wouldn't let me register. I'm from Perth...Australia. And proud.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA!

A cycle can take up to 4-5 weeks. Do you have any tests kits to check your parameters? A liquid re-agent test is really beneficial so you can monitor the parameters. Aquarium Pharmacueticals makes a great one.

You will need the following tests: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph. When testing, any reading above 2ppm (2ml) is toxic to the fish (other than nitrate). This is why you lost some danios. You can also take a look at "The Nitrogen Cycle" in the Articles Section.

BTW, we have a number of members from "Down Under"

Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Welcome to the board. Well, now that you are registered, you can always go into your profile controls and change your location.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fastfly48 Send a message via MSN to fastfly48 Send a message via Yahoo to fastfly48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Welcome to AA!

A cycle can take up to 4-5 weeks. Do you have any tests kits to check your parameters? A liquid re-agent test is really beneficial so you can monitor the parameters. Aquarium Pharmacueticals makes a great one.

You will need the following tests: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph. When testing, any reading above 2ppm (2ml) is toxic to the fish (other than nitrate). This is why you lost some danios. You can also take a look at "The Nitrogen Cycle" in the Articles Section.

BTW, we have a number of members from "Down Under"
Firstly, Thanks alot for the quick reply! It's great to have some advice on hand like this.
No...I don't have any test kits. I take water samples into the local aquarium store, they do all the tests for free. I looked at some prices and they were CRAZY! I'm actually starting to think that my first 5 danios died because the water temp was at 27. When I saw this I freaked and did a 25% water change (with colder, obviously, water from the tap), perhaps the temp change was fatal? 27 is at the upper most limit for them isn't it?
Anyways, thank again for the reply!
Ry.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

*Makes a mental note to purchase metric converter*

There's no problem with having your LFS test your water other than the fact that you will not know what's happening immediately and by that time, it could be too late. NH3 and NO2 at any level above 2ppm (2ml) will be fatal to your fish.

As far as the water temp is concerned, 27c is equivalent to 80f? If so, that temp is fine for most if not all tropical fish. What temp did you lower it to? If more than 3-4d, it may have had an effect, though I'm sure it was either NH3 or NO2 that caused it.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stable water is very important. Also the way fish are acclimated is important. If the water in your tank had params (temp, pH, hardness etc...) that were way off from the fish stores water then a shock could have occured. It is doubtful that a few danions in a 75 L tank would cause much of an ammonia spike that quickly.

Also realize that when this cycle is done the tank will only be cycled for the fish you have. Any new fish will create new spikes in ammonia and nitrite. During this period keeping ammonia less than 2ppm with water changes and nitrie less than 0.25ppm (2ppm is deadly) will be very helpful. Slow acclimation of new fish will also be important. I like to place new fish in a bucket (clean and only used for fish) with the fish store water. Every 5-10 minutes I take some fish store water out and replace it with tank water. When the volumn of water has tunred over completely (or close to it) I remove the fish with a net and place them into the tank. This avoids contamination as well. Then use the old water to feed your plants.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
Welcome to the board. Well, now that you are registered, you can always go into your profile controls and change your location.
Thanks! That's great new...but how? I can get into my profile but how do I change the location?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
*Makes a mental note to purchase metric converter*

There's no problem with having your LFS test your water other than the fact that you will not know what's happening immediately and by that time, it could be too late. NH3 and NO2 at any level above 2ppm (2ml) will be fatal to your fish.

As far as the water temp is concerned, 27c is equivalent to 80f? If so, that temp is fine for most if not all tropical fish. What temp did you lower it to? If more than 3-4d, it may have had an effect, though I'm sure it was either NH3 or NO2 that caused it.
What temp did I lower it to? I got it down to 25c. That's not enough to kill a fish is it!? All the books I've read say that 24c-26c is good water temp, so I figure 25c is perfect. I guess. What do you think the ideal tropical water temp is? Because I'm still not 100% sure!
Anyways, Thanks a lot for your comments!
Ry.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Danios prefer cooler temps generally but do fine in warmer water as well. 21-27C should be a fine range, just keep it stable. And the warmer the water make sure there is good air exchange. This is usually easy to do by just make sure the filter creates ripples on the water surface.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkos
Danios prefer cooler temps generally but do fine in warmer water as well. 21-27C should be a fine range, just keep it stable. And the warmer the water make sure there is good air exchange. This is usually easy to do by just make sure the filter creates ripples on the water surface.
WOW! Far out! This reply time is INSANE! Impressive! Thanks AGAIN! This is all REALLY helpful!
Cheers.
Ry.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com