Just starting a new 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah I see. A couple of things to ask before I restart. I understand you have to rinse everything inside of the tank like driftwood and rocks, does this include the filter and plants? Second, when I put in the new water, how can I tell if the trace amounts of the old water is completely gone? Is there any way to test this? Otherwise I would just be adding more ammonia to the old ammonia.

Also here is a link to a thread talking about that cleaning ammonia http://www.fishforums.com/forum/general-freshwater/22971-ammonia-fishless-cycling.html

Last edited:
definitely rinse everything in hot water. do that whenever you get something new to introduce to your tank (except carbon filter cartridges, those are usually best rinsed with cold water). just wipe it out really well. after that, if you're going to be running the tank with no fish in it, the trace amounts shouldn't really hurt. i've never really used ammonia in cycling a tank, i usually let it cycle without anything and then add bacteria supplements and gradually introduce "starter fish" which are usually just feeder minnows. they get the cycle going pretty well on their own. so i'm not entirely sure how much ammonia to add to be honest.

definitely rinse everything in hot water. do that whenever you get something new to introduce to your tank (except carbon filter cartridges, those are usually best rinsed with cold water). just wipe it out really well. after that, if you're going to be running the tank with no fish in it, the trace amounts shouldn't really hurt. i've never really used ammonia in cycling a tank, i usually let it cycle without anything and then add bacteria supplements and gradually introduce "starter fish" which are usually just feeder minnows. they get the cycle going pretty well on their own. so i'm not entirely sure how much ammonia to add to be honest.

Oh, okay so basically I am doing a water change but with 100 percent of the water. Also I am washing the filter. Thank you for your input.

This thread has gotten on the wrong track.

Did you find pure ammonia

A link to an ammonia calculator is listed in post #29.
I would rinse as much as you can and perform several large water changes just to be sure. You could add activated carbon to remove any residual perfumes and dyes. Not sure effect the surfactants will have on the development of the BB. I'm guessing the surfactants are water soluble and should removed with the rinsing.
What brand of ammonia to use? Ace hardware carries a pure ammonia that is safe to use. I found some safe ammonia at a grocery store for about a buck. Looked up the MSDS to make sure it had no nasty ingredients. Online you can search for Dr Tims: they sell an ammonia source and a bacterial supplement that is supposed to be really effective.

A link to an ammonia calculator is listed in post #29.
I would rinse as much as you can and perform several large water changes just to be sure. You could add activated carbon to remove any residual perfumes and dyes. Not sure effect the surfactants will have on the development of the BB. I'm guessing the surfactants are water soluble and should removed with the rinsing.
What brand of ammonia to use? Ace hardware carries a pure ammonia that is safe to use. I found some safe ammonia at a grocery store for about a buck. Looked up the MSDS to make sure it had no nasty ingredients. Online you can search for Dr Tims: they sell an ammonia source and a bacterial supplement that is supposed to be really effective.
Mostly anything is soluble in water, but the amount of time it takes is different. Does this mean I need to change the filter catridge as well. I believe I found the ace ammonia solution. Thank you for your input. I both look forward and dread going home after work to restart my tank.

You can really jump start things by transferring some seasoned media from an existing filter. I did that and cut cycling time down by weeks.

You can really jump start things by transferring some seasoned media from an existing filter. I did that and cut cycling time down by weeks.
I have a 5 gallon tank that I have been running for a little over a month. I am not sure how seasoned it is but my fish seem fine. How will I move the media from that filter though?

I have a 5 gallon tank that I have been running for a little over a month. I am not sure how seasoned it is but my fish seem fine. How will I move the media from that filter though?
I wouldn't recommend robbing such a small tank of its filter/bio media.
Nanos can be tough to keep stable and removing the media would cause serious issues.
Fishless cycle it and do not worry about borrowing anything from the 5g.

I wouldn't recommend robbing such a small tank of its filter/bio media.
Nanos can be tough to keep stable and removing the media would cause serious issues.
Fishless cycle it and do not worry about borrowing anything from the 5g.
Ahh, thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom