Just starting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waats

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, I've decided to get into fish keeping. Seems it can be fun and very enjoyable. I decided to start out very small and "test the waters". :roll:

I got the Top Fin Beta Cove and a beta fish of course. The dude at PetsMart said that the food that came with the bowl was okay, but he said to get Betta Bio-Gold. Also said to only feed it 3 pellets every other day. (is this right?)

I'm seeing if I can keep sushi with no problems for 2-3 weeks. If that works out, I will be getting a 10 gallon combo kit from PetsMart and start adding fish.

Does anyone recommend anything as of right now?

Also I already did the water treatment.

Welcome! It sounds like your off to a great start. If your interested in goldfish, they can be great and inexpensive to keep. You might wanna try some. They can also be kept with some loaches, cats, and some plecos.

Good luck to you and Sushi!
lashilia

the recommendation on feeding sounds right - the betta won't need to use much energy in his cove (they don't even in a larger tank, they just sort of float around), so feeding it every day or two is a good recommendation - it will also help keep the water cleaner.

Keeping something like a betta or a goldfish isn't exactly the same as keeping tropicals, because the betta and goldfish are usually accustomed to living in less than ideal conditions (betta live in sewers, drainage ditches, large puddles, etc) ... as long as they get an occasional water change and some food once in a while, they can live a long time!

A tropical fish on the other hand, is sensitive to things like PH, Hardness, Temperature, lighting, just to name a few... there are hardier tropicals (like the dannio or the white-cloud). Also, setting up a tank of 1 gallon or more requires a "cycle" to take place in the tank, which can take anywhere between 5 weeks and 8 weeks... this is a critcal time for the tank, and also requires a lot of patience and very few (if any) occupants.

You can try running a tank without cycling, but it's a constant battle and requires a LOT more maintenence, plus you can't afford any neglect or it will crash and kill all the fish.

Best of luck in your endeavors, and feel free to ask away!

I hope the small tank works out. My girlfriend and I decided to buy a ten gallon kit (we got the one at walmart). This was in November, when we were expecting our first child. The tank worked out great. We both love it, as does our now-six-month-old daughter. It's in her room. She turns her head in her crib so she can watch it while she falls asleep.

The ten gallon tank is easy to care for. I found myself spending a lot of time watching the fish. Then I began plotting a scheme to get more fish. Looks like I needed another tank. Now I have two. Still not satisfied. My girlfriend says I'm not going to be happy until I grow gils, seal off our apartment, fill it with water and become part fish myself. 8O

Thanks everyone for the replys. Betta's seem to be pretty tough fish.

When/If I do decide to get a 10 gallon aquarium, I want to have a little communty going. What do you guys recommend some good friends for the Betta?

Most fish will get along ok with the betta. Just don't get anything with fancy fins like him. Avoid guppies, fancy goldfish (for several reasons).

Bettas live in rice paddies which cover acers. Feed him 3 pellets everyday, not every other.
Good luck with your new fishies!
ashley

Goldfish should not be kept with Tropical fish and really shouldn't be kept in a tank that is smaller than 10 gallons per fish. They grow really big and produce a ton of waste.

Back to Bettas, when you get that 10 Gallon up and running put him in their as soon as you can. Bettas love to swim and while they will survive for awhile in those stupid little cups, they will thrive in a bigger aquarium and really show you what a special fish they are.

Every time I go past those awful betta cups at walmart I just cringe. Imagine spending days or weeks in a room that's like 4' x 4'. Good thing they punch those tiny little air holes in the lids. There's gotta be a better way!

Ryan

I went to the pet store in my town just to see what they had as far as tank buddys. I like the following... I'm not getting all of these (hehe) but please tell me which ones might work with my betta.

- All types of Tetra's
- Platys
- Gourami
- Reg. Alibino Crop's
- Long Fin Dino's
- 2" and 3" Bala Shark
- Black Fin Shark
- Zamora Sun Cat
- Albino Channel Cat
- Albino Tiger Oscar
- Red Tiger Oscar
- Red Belly Pacu
- African Cichilds

I'd like to get a catfish if at all possable. Gotta keep the bottom clean. Also I'd like to get a plant and some other hiding spots, but we'll worry about that later.

Cory catfish would be the best choice if available. MOst of the catfish you list get really too big for a small tank like a 10 gallon. Tetras would be fine. No cichlids would be good with a betta. Short finned danios would be a better choice than long finned as sometimes bettas can be aggressive against long finned fish, though they would probably be fine. Platys would be fine as well. Not normally a good mix with gouramis in a smaller tank.

Ok. In my totally unprofessional opinion LOL I can suggest which of those guys you really do not want to share a tank with a Betta (or vice versa) and if I can remember why, I'll even give a reason LOL

Forget the:
African Cichlids, Pacu, Oscars. All way too aggressive (plus some diff water parameter needs).
Channel cat: 6 feet 60 pounds full grown. Not much more to say there LOL
Most Tetras: Nippy long fin biting fish. You'd need a fairly big school to keep em occupied with nipping themselves and theres no guarantee they'll leave the Betta alone then.
Gouramis: can also be aggressive; but MAYBE a dwarf gourami MIGHT work. They do like somewhat similar water parameters (like, no current).
Not sure about the rest; I only done some previous research on the ones I've mentioned.

Thumbs up for doing your research first! You may want to consider some of those other fish in a separate larger tank. While you can't have too many of the african cichlids (and I'm even talking of the same breed) in a tank cause of aggression, they're beautiful fish for the most part.

Ooo tkos. A double post (check the time) *grin* we must be psychically (or psychotically ;) ) linked LOL

Waats, the first thibng you should do is buy a book on aquarium fishkeeping. Almost all will have the answers to all the little questions you may have. As for the 10 gallon, like tks said, a cory catfish would be best for cleaning the bottom, though some of the smaller loaches are fun to have. To keep your algae level down, i would suggest that you get an otocinclus, and some hardy plants. IMO, I wouldn't start with goldfish. Most grow larger than people expect, are very messy, and few fish are on the market today to keep with them. As for fish to live in the middle of yours tank, a school of tetras, danios, or barbs (make sure you get at least six, or they will nip at your betta). The Betta, otto, cory cats, and schooling fish will fill up the amount of tank space you have, is you wenty any further in the amount of fish, you would overstock the tank. I have to say that the hardest thing about fishkepping for me is resisting the urge tro buy more fish! Good luck with you tank, and remember to research, resaerch, research!

Waats, the first thibng you should do is buy a book on aquarium fishkeeping. Almost all will have the answers to all the little questions you may have. As for the 10 gallon, like tks said, a cory catfish would be best for cleaning the bottom, though some of the smaller loaches are fun to have. To keep your algae level down, i would suggest that you get an otocinclus, and some hardy plants. IMO, I wouldn't start with goldfish. Most grow larger than people expect, are very messy, and few fish are on the market today to keep with them. As for fish to live in the middle of yours tank, a school of tetras, danios, or barbs (make sure you get at least six, or they will nip at your betta). The Betta, otto, cory cats, and schooling fish will fill up the amount of tank space you have, is you wenty any further in the amount of fish, you would overstock the tank. I have to say that the hardest thing about fishkepping for me is resisting the urge tro buy more fish! Good luck with you tank, and remember to research, resaerch, research!

That is a crazy double post.

The perfect schooling fish that I have found for Bettas is White CLoud Minnows. Normally pretty easy to find, cheap, colourful once grown up, supper peaceful and super hardy. Like the tank around 70F which is fine for the Betta.

Back
Top Bottom