Keeping A Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's what I did with mine. Cut it vertically. Notice that part is left uncovered so I still get some circulation.

Attachments

• image-2354700858.jpg
    image-2354700858.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 91
Maxkolbe said:
What you basically do is take a plastic water bottle and cut it in half. Then trim it to the length required and tape it over the flow. The water will hit the baffle and go to the sides so it
Lessens the current. :)

Ahhh thank you for that :),
Once tank is ready for him,ill see how he goes,it is on gentle setting so i think he will be ok,but obviously depends on his temperament,so this might well help me out so thanks once again :)

I just got inspired from this thread. My setup will only officially start in February, but here it is:

Attachments

• image-665332389.jpg
    image-665332389.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 64
Maxkolbe said:
Here's what I did with mine. Cut it vertically. Notice that part is left uncovered so I still get some circulation.

Actually looking again at your pic,is your filter kinda outside tank,mine is am internal Fluval U2,and if i tried taping a plastic baffle on wouldn't it fall off it has a 3 flow selector on it and i switched it to gentle,it comes out in small holes in middle of filter so i would have to tape it on and it will be in water,i can't see the tape staying on !!! But thanks for explaining baffling :)

tropicalfishlady said:
Actually looking again at your pic,is your filter kinda outside tank,mine is am internal Fluval U2,and if i tried taping a plastic baffle on wouldn't it fall off it has a 3 flow selector on it and i switched it to gentle,it comes out in small holes in middle of filter so i would have to tape it on and it will be in water,i can't see the tape staying on !!! But thanks for explaining baffling :)

What kind of intake does your filter have? Mine all have a tube that extends down, I recently took some pieces of a pre-filter, cut it to fit & put it inside the tube, its really cut down the outflow. The baffle wasn't working for my 5.5g tank.

shellieca said:
What kind of intake does your filter have? Mine all have a tube that extends down, I recently took some pieces of a pre-filter, cut it to fit & put it inside the tube, its really cut down the outflow. The baffle wasn't working for my 5.5g tank.

Hi Shellieca,cool i have not got my Crowntail Betta yet,tank.just recycled because of a mini cycle crash but its cycled again now so i a week or so as long as tank stays stable ill be getting him.
Fluval filter has a 3 way flow top nozzle for maximum surface agitation which i used to have set on, but don't need that on now as i have a small home made moving bed filter with sponge and massive surface area,biomedia balls,powered by a very small pump,with a few bubbles for surface agitation.
Bottom nozzle is for maximum deep water agitation,and down the middle there a small holes for gentle flow especially beneficial for plants,which i now have set on,it is quite gentle but it depends on the Betta i get and how he feels with it.here is a pic of my filters box just to give you an idea.

ForumRunner_20121125_135152.jpg

tropicalfishlady said:
Hi Shellieca,cool i have not got my Crowntail Betta yet,tank.just recycled because of a mini cycle crash but its cycled again now so i a week or so as long as tank stays stable ill be getting him.
Fluval filter has a 3 way flow top nozzle for maximum surface agitation which i used to have set on, but don't need that on now as i have a small home made moving bed filter with sponge and massive surface area,biomedia balls,powered by a very small pump,with a few bubbles for surface agitation.
Bottom nozzle is for maximum deep water agitation,and down the middle there a small holes for gentle flow especially beneficial for plants,which i now have set on,it is quite gentle but it depends on the Betta i get and how he feels with it.here is a pic of my filters box just to give you an idea.

I think you'll be fine so long as there are lots of plants real or silk & some hiding places which will give him some calmer water areas to rest in. Also if you can get some floating plants he'll love having a place close to the surface he can rest & it'll help set up a calm area close to the surface. I put the floating plants on the opposite side of the filter that way they tend to stay put.

shellieca said:
I think you'll be fine so long as there are lots of plants real or silk & some hiding places which will give him some calmer water areas to rest in. Also if you can get some floating plants he'll love having a place close to the surface he can rest & it'll help set up a calm area close to the surface. I put the floating plants on the opposite side of the filter that way they tend to stay put.

Oh brilliant,thanks for your advice,there are plenty of hiding places i made a little cave in front,plus i do have a small indian fern which i now have read is also called water sprite and it can be a floating plant so i may float that heres my tank see what you think:

ForumRunner_20121125_154913.jpg

tropicalfishlady said:
Oh brilliant,thanks for your advice,there are plenty of hiding places i made a little cave in front,plus i do have a small indian fern which i now have read is also called water sprite and it can be a floating plant so i may float that heres my tank see what you think:

Ps.all my plants are real ones i like the nature look,thst what i went for in the tank :)

shellieca said:

All my plants are real,i like the nature look,that was my idea with the tank :)

tropicalfishlady said:
All my plants are real,i like the nature look,that was my idea with the tank :)

Love the tank. I have mostly real but they weren't tall enough for my liking yet so I put in some silk ones with long slender leaves. I need to get more plants, I like the heavy planted tanks.

shellieca said:
Love the tank. I have mostly real but they weren't tall enough for my liking yet so I put in some silk ones with long slender leaves. I need to get more plants, I like the heavy planted tanks.

Thank you,i just got the Vallis to fill out back and one at the side near filter,so see how they go,they are quitw long when.i.bought them they are growing along the surface,so they will give cover for my Betta :)

Back
Top Bottom