Keeping my Betta in his plastic pet store container?? (Noob)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aimless

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, now I want to say before I start, my Betta is not going to be in this container long. I would rather not have him there at all, but I was completely unaware of how long the proper set up would take when I purchased him. And he was way too unique and gorgeous to pass up. I originally assumed he'd have to wait in his container for 3 days at most while I got him a 3 gallon tank set up. At least the pet store made it out that way. I'm thankfully the kind of person who researches the validity of information I get and found out about fishless cycling and have been getting together the things I need for that.

Now my question is: will he be ok in his container while we wait on his new tank to cycle? I realize it's not too different from the pet store, but I'm not comfortable with it having to be so long.
I have also put in a small silk plant that doesn't seem to get much in his way in, (for some stimulation at least as I feel bad for him being in some barren plastic yogurt container sized enclosure) I've also purchased some luffy Betta balls with hopes of also putting one in there too, if it doesn't make it too cramped.

At the moment I plan to do a half water change every few days seeing as his container is only 3 and a half inches in diameter (equaling 2 times a week) although he's only been in my home for 3 days and has only had it changed once now. I also have my thermostat cranked to 75 in hopes of making up for the lack of water heater. Using a basic thermometer to check the water every so often shows it's working out alright, although my apt is now sweltering for the time being :lol:

Thanks for your time and help everyone!!

Pictures of his current set up (mat underneath is so the water doesn't lose too much heat through the thin plastic.):

pumZe2j.jpg

bQgZe58.jpg

IDoav3s.jpg

Honestly I would either put him in the tank and do a fish in cycle (obviulsly you'll want to research that) or find a bigger plastic container (storage boxes are ideal) and keep him in there until the fisless cycle has been completed. If you do the container option I would do 100% water changes every 2-3 days. I feel those cups are just too small.

I've done numerous fish in cycle with bettas and never had a problem. Here in the UK it's difficult to get the right ammonia for a fishless cycle.

I totally agree! I'm doing a fish in cycle with my new male Betta in a 3 gallon tank and he's doing really good. I just changed the water 50% yesterday. And just test the water everyday, and watch him. Another thing is: I also got a baby girl betta. I don't have a tank for her, but, I have a 10 gallon with another Betta. So, for now (til I get a divider) she is in a large vase I got at the dollar store ($2) floating in my 10g. I change out her water every few days with my 10 g tank water (She's a baby not much waste) but, this way she has the heat by floating. Just an idea for ya, if you don't feel comfortable with fish in cycle.

Thank you all for the great advice! And sorry for the delayed reply, juggling work and my new fish baby here. I saw the first reply and immediately went and got him a bigger, albeit temporary, tank. He seems quite a bit happier especially with the new things I've got him for it. I also did my best to transfer him in the dip/bag method for the change, keeping as much of his old water as possible. So far he just seems rather happy and calm (unless showing off)

Pictures of his new set up -
URsIbvY.jpg

Shortly after the first shot XD, him not at all enjoying the attention of my cellphone:
Sa7lq5f.jpg

Regarding his permanent home, based on all the replies I will just get him set up in it as soon as I can once the Tetra Safestart arrives and it goes through at least a day or two of cycling. I never thought I'd find science and numbers so fun XD

Awww! That's cool! Looks of soft color goes really good with him. Very nice temporary home. Alot better than a cup. Thumb!

Can't get better than that for a temporary tank, he'll love it

I've just finished the cycle on this guys tank. Daily testing and 50% water changes but in a small tank it only takes 10 mins.

Attachments

• 20180117_180853.jpg
    20180117_180853.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 62
Petco has the 1$ per gallon sale going until feb.

Go ahead and get him a 5g or better on the low. [emoji51][emoji106]

DPG Sale only good on
10,20h,20L, and 29 tanks

40gl and 75 50% off

sorry 5 gallons are not included - Get him a 10 :)

Back
Top Bottom