Keeping platy population down.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
When we started our tank I specifically told my husband not to look at guppy, platys and livebearers. They're so beautiful but are always reproducing like rabbits! Of course my husband looks and falls in love with them.

So I am wondering if there is a way to humanely keep the population down? Maybe some happy nice fish that will eat the fry. Something that just allows nature to take its course. I have a 20 gallon with 4 Khulis in it right now. I hope to create a nice community tank eventually.

Keep all males. :)

Will they be happy like that? Or aggressive towards each other?

I was also going to ask how many do you need for them to be happy and thrive?

Males or females will be fine. If you have both though, there should be at least 2 or 3 females per male. The guppies (and just about any other fish that can fit the fry in their mouths) will eat the fry. Some might still survive if there are good enough places to hide, but even then, there should be too many.

Males or females will be fine. If you have both though, there should be at least 2 or 3 females per male. The guppies (and just about any other fish that can fit the fry in their mouths) will eat the fry. Some might still survive if there are good enough places to hide, but even then, there should be too many.

Okay cool. I wasn't sure if most fish would eat fry or only special ones! I just have these flashbacks to my uncles tanks. He had livebearers and they were always so out of hand! He would give them away for free. I keep getting worried my tank will over flow like that. Thinking of maybe getting 4 if 20 gallons is big enough.

Okay cool. I wasn't sure if most fish would eat fry or only special ones! I just have these flashbacks to my uncles tanks. He had livebearers and they were always so out of hand! He would give them away for free. I keep getting worried my tank will over flow like that. Thinking of maybe getting 4 if 20 gallons is big enough.

4 guppies would definitely not be too much for a 20 gallon, if you don't want them to reproduce i would just get males because they're a lot prettier and if you get females they'll probably already be pregnant when you get them. any fish will eat fry as long as their mouth is big enough, including the adult guppies.

Thank you everyone! Calmed my fears of over flowing platys. Hmmm wonder what other fish to get that will compliment them.

Hi fin white skirt tetras are really pretty, and stand out really well in a planted tank. Idk if you plan on doing plants or not but that's definitely something to think about.

I started with 6 Platy s & ended up with 13 babies! Now I have all females & added 2 Angelfish & haven t seen anymore babies. Hope you get a balance , it has taken me since Dec to get the final 'peaceful' stock I wanted. Took a lone Penguin tetra & the last male Platy fry to the LFS yesterday. Peace at last!

Oh yeah. 20 gallons is plenty big enough :)

Back
Top Bottom