Killed most of them :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chillie308

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok i had noooo idea i had to cycle my new tank until right after i bought my fish. I bought my tank on 2-14 and added 8 glofish tetras. I have a 20 gallon tank with led moon lighting by marine land. I bought my fish at walmart its the only place within a hour to get them And i saw no signs of unhealthy fish. Since i bought my tank i have been doing 25-50% water change every 3 days and feeding the fish minimal amounts every 2 days. Out of no where 7 of my 8 fish have died in the last 24 hours. Here are the results of my water test kit i realize the ammonia is high but i didnt think it was that high to kill them. Im at a loss where to go from here. Do i need to dump all the water again? I just did a complete change last night. I had a pleco also and it died today too. I just need advice where to go from here to get it corrected. Thanks :)

Changing out all the water will basically un-cycle the tank so you have to start all over again.

Yea i kind of figured i moved him in my small aquarium with my goldfish but he is acting funny so im sure by morning he will be dead also so i have a fishless tank running now i thought i included a pic of the water results but i dont see it i just need to get this tank up and running so i can restock

Hi chillie308
Im new here too but i'd suggest going to your local pet store and get yourself a bottle of live bacteria to kick start the cycle in your tank. Just make sure its freshwater bacteria not saltwater. Oh and it could also help if you have a friend or relative with a healty aquarium give you some of thier filter media or even a dirty filter cartridge, put that in your filter and run it for a month or so in ur filter. Oh and dont change the water so much let bacteria grow in the tank for a month then change 50% of the water every month.

I dont have any per shops in my town and i dont know anyone with an aquarium ive been using API stress zyme and stress coat since the get go and partial doses at big water changes

Also, after the cycle is done, only add a few fish at a time according to the tank size. So in a 20 gallon, start with 3 glofish tetras so the bio-load in the tank is not overwhelmed. You can add a few more fish every week or so.

And don't get another pleco. They grow to about the length of an arm and need like a 60 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom