KOI fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Is it possible to keep two koi in a 55G tank? And have them live comfortably and long-lasting?

I think not, but my mom just won't side with me.

has she seen how big koi get? Liva aquaria says minimum 1000 gallon pond for all of the koi they have, im pretty sure theyre just a colorful carp, which carp get monsterous!

That's what i was saying. And yes, we know all about koi. We have had 3 koi in a pond in our backyard that is over 1000G and they were all 2.5feet+. She just doesn't want to listen to me.. :( Are there any other type of koi that can be kept in a tank that small? My guess is no.. but it's worth asking.

koi gets to be 3 feet long, definitely a no-no in a 55 gal.

You can get a koi look alike. The shubunkin goldfish (so called poor-man's koi) is a goldfish that gets to ~12" or so. They are better suited to 6 foot long + tanks as they do like to swim. However, you can keep a pair of shubunkins in a 55 for quite a few years, and move them to the pond when they get too big.

And remember that they make alot of waste so you really need to keep up with the PWC's and good filtration too.
This is where I keep my Koi.
img_1078540_0_b541f3c66f9e0bf63b644d18939391d7.jpg

Yeah, we had to shut down the pond for a little bit because for some reason, it wasn't holding up as well this winter as it used to.. my guess is because the lining was getting ripped by the ice forming over the water, and this winter so far has been extremely cold. But i think she has plans to recreate it once again and put koi in there, so i think we may go with fancy goldfish or the shabunkin. I don't really do freshwater, but i enjoy giving a helping hand with any type of fish related setups so it's all good. Thanks for the advice guys. I wasn't going to let her put koi in the 55G even if she tried :D

One of the problems I had with a liner type of pond is not to put a pleco of any type in it. They burrow into any crece and their spines just rip holes in the plastic. I had to tell friends not to use the pond as their dumping grounds for plecos that outgrew their tanks. LOL

And remember that they make alot of waste so you really need to keep up with the PWC's and good filtration too.
This is where I keep my Koi.
img_1078852_0_b541f3c66f9e0bf63b644d18939391d7.jpg

Nice!!! My father in law has one similar to that and his is virtually care free. Just love watching them and can't wait to get one like yours.

Wonderful pond TC. We have thick clay so we didn't use a liner, but I wish we did, because now you can't see the fish because the waters so muddy. We have a bunch of goldfish in ours. Breed like guppies lol.

My pond is a little over 3,000 gallons and is really a little to deep (3' on the deep end). The tiles around the edge of the pond is to keep the sun off the exposed pondliner otherwise it would crack in no time at all.

you could put some koi in a 55 as long as you have a TON of filtration and you have a BIG pond to put them in after they get to big for the tank. The pond is a must though. If you don't have a place to put them after they out grow the tank (which will be fast), don't get them!

Back
Top Bottom