Krib compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvaporatingFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i currently have a 45 Gallon tank with a very young Rainbow shark, BN Pleco, and 5 Twinbar Platys. ive been looking online at different fish to see what i should get next and the Kribs sound awesome. but i dont know how they would work with my current fish. i know they're aggressive when breeding, but how would they fair with my fish during normal times? the tank is 3'Lx2'Tx1'W
i know they need somewhat special decorations (pvc pipe, rock cave, etc.)
also, where can they be bought? i never saw them at petco, petsmart, or even one of my local pet stores.
heres my current setup which is about to majorly be rearranged.

CAM00100.jpg

I had two kribs, sadly one died, but my single female is fine with my Cory's, widows and gourami. It tends to stay on the bottom picking at leftovers, they like good hiding places as they are territorial, but it's not afraid to pop out when feeding it doesn't hide all day. Not seen any aggression from her, she's quite timid but I think that's because she's alone.

Found a local fish stores that can order a male and female for me. Hopefully the price won't be rough since it's a personal order

Kribs are neat little cichlids and if you set the tank up correctly you won't have any problems even when they breed. First, you need some sort of cave. You may want to use a black coffee mug as it looks like you could make it look natural in the tank. If not a flower pot works great. Make sure their cave is on one end of the tank and maybe add some rocks or small rock structure 8"-10" toward the opposite side. that will give them a boundry when they spawn. If not spawning they will go all over the place, but when they spawn they will hang close to the cave and protect their turf-cave to rocks-chasing all things coming.
If the local pet store dosen't get them, go to Aquabid. If you can get one regular and one albino, cool combo.

]Why are they so hard to find? I hear and read that a ton of people like them and I've never seen them in a chain store or even my local ones

Back
Top Bottom