Lake drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manning7987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some drift wood that has been out of the water and in direct sunlight for about 7 months. Is it safe to put in my fish tank ?I have some large pieces.

I would say not safe. Bacteria thrive in heat. I would still boil it. Also if you just throw it in there tannings will leach and change the color of your water to a slight brown.

I have some drift wood that has been out of the water and in direct sunlight for about 7 months. Is it safe to put in my fish tank ?I have some large pieces.

I found some too, about a year ago so it's been sitting around. I decided to cut a peice off too put in a smaller tank. When I was soaking it the water smelled pretty bad so I think that I will not be using it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've tried many different types found outdoors. I usually boil them first and or let them sit in a bucket with water, unfortunately most of them have turned the water extremely dark, others have just rotted.
Bottom line I think any wood used should be heavy and dense, pine is definitely a no go and so are softer woods.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah definitely use hard woods. I'd stay away from maples though. Too much sap.

Ok thanks for the advice I have boiled a small piece of driftwood for about 2 hours and the water color never change would it be safe to put in my tank now or should I wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well there wouldn't be any bad bacteria and if the water color didn't change then it won't leach tannin on those two notes you're fine. Give it a try see what happens.

I have more pieces from the same place I pick this one from but much bigger would this same process be ok or should I take extra precaution and what

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah same process.

I gathered some pieces of driftwood from the river behind my house for my tank. I just boiled it. And boiled it. And boiled it some more! It's been in my tank for about a year now and is still doing great. I'd love to grow some Anubias and attach it to some of the pieces, but I can't seem to grow anything but water lettuce! Lol. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469685157.768027.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also if you run into leeching problems you can just fill up a bucket with water and refresh it regularly until the water stays clear. I used a Home Depot 5g bucket and everything worked out smoothly.

I would say not safe. Bacteria thrive in heat. I would still boil it. Also if you just throw it in there tannings will leach and change the color of your water to a slight brown.
Always boil the Unknown... At least 15 minutes. If you live at higher elevation remember to increase that number.

Also remember tannins can be filtered with charcoal.... But charcoal (activated carbon) will overwhelm quickly.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom