Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Last fish died :( now what?

I have a ten gallon tank that I have had 3 1-2 weeks. I fell for the lie that you can buy fish after letting it run 24 hours. I bought two fish, a snail, and a ghost shrimp. After the neon fish died that night, I found this forum and learned about the cycle. I still need to get back to the store to buy a kit, so I cannot test my water, currently. The snail became less active after the first day. It died almost ten days later. It had strings coming from it. I added three baby Mickey Mouse fish that a friend gave me. They too became stringy (poop, I think). I posted last week to see how to treat for a parasite, and someone said it sounded like nitrate poisoning, not a parasite.

Anyway, all of this to say the final fish is 99% dead. So what do I do? Do I keep cycling the water that is currently in there? Or do i take everything out, clean it, and start over?

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWas1837 View Post
I have a ten gallon tank that I have had 3 1-2 weeks. I fell for the lie that you can buy fish after letting it run 24 hours. I bought two fish, a snail, and a ghost shrimp. After the neon fish died that night, I found this forum and learned about the cycle. I still need to get back to the store to buy a kit, so I cannot test my water, currently. The snail became less active after the first day. It died almost ten days later. It had strings coming from it. I added three baby Mickey Mouse fish that a friend gave me. They too became stringy (poop, I think). I posted last week to see how to treat for a parasite, and someone said it sounded like nitrate poisoning, not a parasite.

Anyway, all of this to say the final fish is 99% dead. So what do I do? Do I keep cycling the water that is currently in there? Or do i take everything out, clean it, and start over?

Thanks!
Hello KW...

Actually, you didn't fall for a lie. The person gave you accurate information. You can add certain fish to a newly set up tank after a couple of days. The problem for you is the size of the tank. Small tanks aren't for a beginner. A 30 gallon tank is much better. If you're interested in the hobby, get at least a 30 gallon tank and before you do anything with it, ask questions about how to do a fish in cycle. It's efficient and not hard on any of the hardy species of fish.

B

Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave the water. Start a fishless cycle, no need to clean everything out.

Buy the test kit, and wait for the cycle to complete.

While you wait for the cycle, research fish that are suitable for a 10 gallons tank.

I will suggest:
Batta
Celestial Pearl Danio
Small Tetra (neon, ember etc)
Pygmy Cory Cats
Chili Rasbora
Cherry Shrimp
Nerite Snail

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure you keep an ammonia source with either a fish or fish food. The best way to do a fish in cycle is to change out around 25% of the water daily if you find yourself in that situation.

Tags
die, died, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com