Lead me by the hand please? =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nonie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I really want to learn how to do all of this, but need a little hand holding right now. I posted a couple of weeks ago in the introducing forum. I have a betta, George, a Bristlenose pleco, Emmet, and a Narite snail, Fred, in my 5 gallon fluval spec. On April 2, Petco told me to run the tank 24 hours and then add the betta. I added the other 2 a couple weeks later on their advice. I knew nothing about cycling at the time.

My ammonia is usually around .5, but will spike higher without pwc, nitrites have always been 0, and nitrates are 5-10 now. I try to do daily water changes, 2 gallons at a time. Sometimes I do 2 changes.We have well water that tested very slightly positive for nitrates. All else is good. We have hard water. pH in the tank stays around 7.4. Temp 76. I rinsed the filter in the aquarium about twice in the last 5 or 6 weeks. I was using Aqueon Betta water condioner, but switched to Prime this week

I tried Tetra Safe Start, adding per directions with every pwc. Added an eco bio stone a couple weeks ago. Then I tried Fluval Bio Boost on Monday, 3 doses per directions. I contacted Fluval and they said no water changes for a month at least because the bacteria need the ammonia to eat. I waited a couple days, but the ammonia got a little over 2. I'm using the API master test kit. So I changed the water as soon as I saw that reading yesterday.

I'm attached to my little guys and can't stand the thought of hurting them.

I don't have access to a used filter or substrate. Almost did, but it fell through. I visited Aquarium Coop last weekend while in Seattle. They thought they had one but didn't. But I did see Angelsplus.com has some active sponges.

While in Seattle my brother gave me his (ancient) equipment. I have filled the 25 gallon tank but don't trust the old heater and underground filter. They're pretty brittle. I want to move the trio over to the 25 but want to do it right.

Suggestions? Lead this newbie by the hand and tell me what to buy, what to do, and how to set it up, please?. The only pet store I have access to here is Petco. My inclination right now is to get an active filter from Angelsplus.com. If that's best, how do I install it? I've learned a lot, but have a long way to go. I understand what the cycling is and why, but am lost with exactly what to do for this tank.

I would grab an ehiem jager heater, 150 watts and an aquaclear 50 hang on back filter.

I would set the temp to 78 and transfer all the filter media from the old tank into the new filter, or simply run both the new filter and the old filter.

Buying a cycled sponge is a good idea, and dosing the bio-in-a-bottle should help a little bit. I would keep ammonia less than 0.5ppm and double dose prime to keep it from affecting fish. The cycle should be completed soon.

Some floating plants will help, but water changes will be your best friend while cycling with fish in the tank. goodluck!

I do have some floating live plants that I got at the aquarium coop last weekend.

Should I put the active sponge from Angelsplus into the aquaclear filter or just put it in the tank? If in the tank, can it just sit there or should I attach it to something?

Then I should put my fish and snail in the big tank right away? (after setting it up as you outlined)

I've got the heater and filter in my cart on Amazon. Any suggestions for a light/hood? The tank top measures approx 29.25 x 11.5 inside measurements.

Redose with bio boost as if I hadn't done it?

Last edited:
I agree with Z but would like to suggest you be very careful of all the additives you put in the tank. If you have well water you have no chlorinationissues. Getting an old sponge or running a fishin cycle with a low fish load should do the trick. I have well water and almost never add anything except excel for the plants.

I would put the active sponge in the filter. Yes, after transferring the media you can add fish right away (as long as the temp is close between the two)

For lighting my go to is the fluval 3.0, but its a bit pricey.

Maybe a beamswork LED with a diy timer / dimmer.

ZxC, Should I have a hood on the tank so the fish can't jump out? How will I put on a hood with either of those lights?

Would the Marineland LED Light Hood do a good job?

Thank you so much for your help!

ZxC, Should I have a hood on the tank so the fish can't jump out? How will I put on a hood with either of those lights?

Would the Marineland LED Light Hood do a good job?

Thank you so much for your help!

Depends on what you want to do with the tank. I run all my tanks open top, never had a jumper. Hoods are fine, but aren’t needed. You can get glass tops or plexi tops. The marinland one is fine, I doubt it will grow any plants if you are looking into it for the future, but should work with your floating ones.

I would put the active sponge in the filter. Yes, after transferring the media you can add fish right away (as long as the temp is close between the two)

For lighting my go to is the fluval 3.0, but its a bit pricey.

Maybe a beamswork LED with a diy timer / dimmer.

ZxC,

Thank you for your patience with me!

I have heard bettas are jumpers, which is why I was concerned. I am looking at the 2 lights you mentioned. The fluval 3.0 has some pretty good reviews. I do plan on having plants in there and some of the reviews say it's not the best for plants?

My tank's outside dimensions are 30 x 12-1/4 x 18-1/2. When I look that up, it appears I have a 29 gallon tank.

The fluval seems to have a lot of bells & whistles, and I know I'm not there yet for exactly how to program it, but as I grow into the hobby, I will probably be glad I invested in a better light.

Given my tank dimensions and that I plan to have plants (and dinosaurs!), are the specs for the filter, heater, and light still what you recommend? Fluval 3.0 doesn't seem available on Amazon, but I would prefer to give a dedicated fish store my business anyway.

Another question: what if the active sponge from Angelsplus doesn't fit in the Aquaclear filter? Should I cut it up to make it fit, squish it in, or simply place it in the tank?

Once I get through this and my tank is all cycled, I'll be back for stocking advice! =D You guys are so nice and helpful!

Well the deed is done. I never dreamed one little betta would cost me so much money! I've sunk a small fortune into George between these two tanks. Get a betta for the office pet, they said. It will be easy, they said. Oh well. No regrets, I love this new hobby.

I purchased the Fluval 3.0 LED from Aquarium Coop, the Aquaclear 50 and Ehiem Jager 100 from Amazon, an active sponge and some live plants from Angelsplus, and a betta hammock... just because.

I'm boiling some rocks, petrified wood, and dinosaurs.

If everything arrives in a timely manner, I should be able to have it all set up Wednesday. Thank you again for all your help!

Well that escalated quickly ;)

You will love the light, and yes it is 100% for plants. I would run it at about 50% power for now, until you shake things out. Maybe get a journal / build thread going and we can help you along the planted route. You will really like the features the 3.0 has.

I would cut the sponge to fit in the "stock" location that the aquaclear has, run some purigen and some maybe some small bioballs / rings and call it there. Run your old filter on the tank as well.

The heater will work out fine.

I may have missed it, but what gravel / substrate do you have? And what plants did you purchase? Maybe a build thread would be best for answering all these questions.....

Where should I start a journal build thread - which forum?

I have aquarium sand in my 5 gallon. My brother gave me all his old gravel. I put some of that in the 29 gallon. It looks like very small river rocks. When I empty the 5 g I would like to make a section in the new tank that will be sand from it.

I have some duckweed that I got at the coop last weekend. I purchased hornwort and java moss from Angelsplus. I figured I'd better get my tank established before going too wild with plants. =)

In the new thread I'll have to ask you about purigen and bio balls or rings. Those are foreign words to me right now!

You can start a new thread in the Freshwater & Brackish>Planted Tank forum.
Would strongly suggest against using duckweed. Almost impossible to get rid of.
You can start a tank with plants; no need to establish it beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom