leaking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a problem with my tropical tank in that it is leaking from the top of the tank. It only leaks about an inch or 2 inches down and then it stops at does no more. I think I have located the leak to one of the corners and need to deal with it but I have a few queries. When starting the repair I am going to have a problem re-locating my stock temporally as do not have anymore tanks to put them in. Someone did suggest letting the pet store hold them for a while but I do not trust them with my fish. I have read that the tank has to be completely empty before I start as the sealant needs time to dry but I have found this sealant on ebay and it says that it can be applied underwater which would be a massive help to me as would not have to empty. Is this at all possible?? Obviously I don't want to stress my fish or kill them.

please tell me what you think.

Hobby Underwater Adhesive 80ml Aquarium Clear Glue Fish Tank Silicone | eBay

I wouldn't do it. we have no clue as to what, if any, chemicals that would leak into the water column. id personally just drain it down past the leak, dry it real good, fix it with silicone (100% silicone, use GE silicone 1) then let it air dry for 48 hours, then fill up. normally id say that new silicone wont bond to old silicone but if its only 2 inches down, theres really not a ton of pressure on it (so much as at the bottom).

I wouldn't do it. we have no clue as to what, if any, chemicals that would leak into the water column. id personally just drain it down past the leak, dry it real good, fix it with silicone (100% silicone, use GE silicone 1) then let it air dry for 48 hours, then fill up. normally id say that new silicone wont bond to old silicone but if its only 2 inches down, theres really not a ton of pressure on it (so much as at the bottom).

+1 just keep your fish in buckets of tank water.

I would use a rubbermaid tub so you can hang your filter on the side while you're repairing the tank. Move as much tank water to the tub as possible and your filters. This will keep everyone happy while you make the repair.

Yup, I vote rubbermaid tub with as much of your tank water as it will hold! Add your filters, heaters and whatnot and your fishies shouldn't be too traumatized. Good luck rmiller :)

You'll need to scrape off the old silicone around the leak before you can add more to fix it. This means a razor scraper of some sort. New silicone does not stick to old cured silicone.
A tub as suggested will work to house the fish while you fix the tank, and do test fill it first before you put the fish back to make sure you did fix the leak.

And before all that, any chance it's leaking from under the rim ? If so, you can remove the rim, scrape out any glue or silicone from the channel and off the glass rim. Then fill the channel in the plastic rim with silicone and push it back onto the glass. Wipe off any squeeze out.. anything that's left on the glass is easily scraped off when dry, usually about 24 hours later.

Back
Top Bottom