Leaving town during fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranicrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - we have a new 20 gallon tank (our first tank), and just started the fishless cycle on Saturday (May 10). The ammonia levels are holding at 2ppm, and I know that once they drop we will want to add to keep the levels up so that the bacteria can survive, etc. However, we will gone for a few days (May 24-26) and I am worried the levels will drop but we won't be able to add more ammonia - should we add higher levels before we leave town to make sure there is enough in the tank? Otherwise we might have to start all over again when we get back, right? Any tips would be great - thanks!

No worries! As long as your ammonia level is holding when you leave, your tank will be perfectly fine for the few days that you are gone! And, no, you will not need to start over when you return home either! If it's below 2ppm (or whatever your starting number may be) prior to leaving, just add stony amount of ammonia to bring it up. Do not overdose and I will stress again, do not worry! Please ask if you have questions! :)

Thanks so much! We are excited to get back into town and do our final planning out of the tank (and the order to get everything, etc.) - so I will likely post soon about that to get any advice, etc!

Back
Top Bottom